Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

I was a starboard waist gunner on an H model. The Bombay doors were always kept open until well after takeoff because of fuel vapors. Many a 24 exploded because of this. Also the springs for the nose gear were so week that the bombardier had to be careful not to lean back too far so as to not fall out of the plane. Don’t put too many fuel streaks on the plane. The ground crews were so meticulous and proud, they took care of any oil leaks.

3 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

The ground crews were so meticulous and proud, they took care of any oil leaks.

Ah well... you wanna have a fight about accuracy? How about this latest trend for over-exaggerated dereliction, neglect and filth on models? 

Radu 

5 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

I was a starboard waist gunner on an H model. The Bombay doors were always kept open until well after takeoff because of fuel vapors. Many a 24 exploded because of this. Also the springs for the nose gear were so week that the bombardier had to be careful not to lean back too far so as to not fall out of the plane. Don’t put too many fuel streaks on the plane. The ground crews were so meticulous and proud, they took care of any oil leaks.

OK, keep going.....we want to hear more.  Thanks for your service! 

Wait, you have DOB as 1948 in your profile.  According to wiki, Indian army used the B-24 up until '68 but the US quickly phased it out after WWII.  Fill us in!

Edited by ScottsGT

On 12/3/2018 at 11:43 PM, PhilB said:

The OP of this topic is an expert who has made initial observations based on photographs only.

As he says in his post: "Please note that these comments are based upon what I could determine from photos - not handling the plastic - and thus may be open to further discussion. "

We always need an expert to give a balanced and subjective view based on whatever evidence is available at the time.

Otherwise we just get people making sensationalist comments and throwing rocks when they don't even have the kit in their hands.

:)

Sigh.  I’ve been all around 2 different B24s first hand.  The airfoil is wrong.  I don’t need an “expert” to tell me.  I’ll just shut up now and wait for you to catch up.

Joe

On 12/5/2018 at 4:11 AM, ScottsGT said:

OK, keep going.....we want to hear more.  Thanks for your service! 

Wait, you have DOB as 1948 in your profile.  According to wiki, Indian army used the B-24 up until '68 but the US quickly phased it out after WWII.  Fill us in!

This was after the War. My dad worked at Willow Run where B24s we’re still being made, and I often flew in them. So they were not only still being produced, they were being flown. Maybe it was for export, I don’t know.

Edited by Fred Jack

They finally turned Willow Run into an airport when I was about ten. I really miss flying the old 24. Talking about the H model, I don’t believe the history of the last flying 24 as they describe it. I remember seeing it a few years ago and in small letters on the port nose it said built at Willow Run, Detroit Michigan, which only built the H model. Since the original Witchcraft .was a J Model, it couldn’t have been built there. I saw it again this year and those letters had been removed. I do not believe that this is the original Witchcraft.

Edited by Fred Jack

21 hours ago, Sanderman said:

Sigh.  I’ve been all around 2 different B24s first hand.  The airfoil is wrong.  I don’t need an “expert” to tell me.  I’ll just shut up now and wait for you to catch up.

Joe

I’m afraid you are correct sir.   This is a prominent feature of the real thing and it’s quite apparent that it was completely missed on the kit.   If folks want to claim that the kit airfoil is accurate, they are welcome to do so.  

Some folks claim the earth is flat.   Same thing, they are entitled to their opinions. 

Gents, this is getting a bit tiresome,

NO one is saying the airfoil is or is not accurate.

What we are saying  is we need to stop laying out these "definative" judgements about a kit that hasnt even been released yet.

What is being compared atm is a picture to a picture and that is never the way to accurately assess a kit. 

What say we pack up the judgement on how bad or not bad this kit is until someone actually HAS the kit?

6 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

They finally turned Willow Run into an airport when I was about ten. I really miss flying the old 24. Talking about the H model, I don’t believe the history of the last flying 24 as they describe it. I remember seeing it a few years ago and in small letters on the port nose it said built at Willow Run, Detroit Michigan, which only built the H model. Since the original Witchcraft .was a J Model, it couldn’t have been built there. I saw it again this year and those letters had been removed. I do not believe that this is the original Witchcraft.

Fred - Are you referring the Collings Foundation B-24 that is currently painted in the Witchcraft markings? If so, no, it's not the original Witchcraft. The original - I believe - was destroyed very shortly after the end of WWII. This one was built in Ft. Worth.

-Ro