Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

Lol this thread jumped the shark long ago, just have to separate the wheat from the chaff I guess.

My last grain of wheat: by my quick measurements the kits’ prop radius is 2.01 inches +/-. That’s 64-3/8 inches times 2 = 128.75” or 10’-8.75” diameter, about a foot too small. The blade shape seems off but I’m no expert. My 2¢... maybe my math is wrong. It’s Saturday night :coolio:

jimbo

1 hour ago, Gerhard said:

This just became a Friday thread. We are on Sunday now, and still a lot of useless banter. I love it. 

Expecting a Hobby Boss tooling to lack inaccuracies by itself is a useless venture, thus the direction of the thread itself, don't you think? :coolio:

Or maybe there is someone here who expected this kit to be very precise and accurate?

36 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

Expecting a Hobby Boss tooling to lack inaccuracies by itself is a useless venture, thus the direction of the thread itself, don't you think? :coolio:

Or maybe there is someone here who expected this kit to be very precise and accurate?

I know you like to think HB is some crap company, but that is just your opinion and is not shared by the majority. I own many of their kits on the armor side of the menu that have gotten very good reviews for accuracy and engineering. When you go on with an assertion that is demonstrably untrue it makes it hard to take you seriously, nor does it go very far towards helping address those issues that do occur. 

Maybe the 1/35 Team might have taken the time to make it right. Its easy to make it wrong.

WNW never seem to have a problem after the J1.

I would love to have this to match the one we have in Werribee but alas Ill pass and wait out. Im sure there are many here who will make this and do an excellent job.

Not spending 300 AU for that qhwhen we have a WNW 1/32 Lanc coming for 100 more

Where 3D examples exist scanning is now automatic.

Give me an Anson and Ill make it work :)

Edited by The Phantom

2 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I know you like to think HB is some crap company, but that is just your opinion and is not shared by the majority. I own many of their kits on the armor side of the menu that have gotten very good reviews for accuracy and engineering. When you go on with an assertion that is demonstrably untrue it makes it hard to take you seriously, nor does it go very far towards helping address those issues that do occur. 

Bad deduction.

I too own plenty of their kits on the armor side. They are mediocre, no doubt about it, but that doesn't mean I don't like or enjoy them. I enjoy fast food and sodas too, that doesn't make them any better.

Never said they are a crap company, that's all you. They are mediocre. They were never an A company as ZM or Tamiya /limited releases/. Nor will they ever be one.

The kit is mediocre. 

There is no alternative.

That is pretty much self explanatory, correct?

Either have it and build it, or complain about its flaws.

Already mentioned that in the thread. A lot of folks are spending hours and hours criticizing the kits instead of building them. Probably justifying the lack of will for the actual work.

Edited by Eagle Driver

It looks like there is a generic problem regarding accuracy when one considers most continental China model companies. I believe this is probably linked to a combination of factors such as cultural perception of historical or technical accuracy, easy access to relevant data, national pride, perception of user-friendliness importance, business-oriented time to market approach and surely other things. This explains why this will not change soon. Western or other eastern companies that manage everything themselves except the final plastic production in China do not have the same amount of issues but they are not perfect either. The problem with companies like HB is the fact their learning curve shows hectic rather than regular progress. This is the frustrating part but who else was going to release such a monster for such a price in 2019?

25 minutes ago, Ryan said:

50,000 hits. I'd say the discussion is over, let's go put paint to plastic and finish something this year. :P

+1.

I think 2 months down the line the word "initial" in the title might have passed it's "sell by" date ?

Plus when a lot of the recent posts are now about the company rather than the kit itself it could be time to call it a day.

Just my humble opinion of course.

:)

Edited by PhilB

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

It looks like there is a generic problem regarding accuracy when one considers most continental China model companies. I believe this is probably linked to a combination of factors such as cultural perception of historical or technical accuracy, easy access to relevant data, national pride, perception of user-friendliness importance, business-oriented time to market approach and surely other things. This explains why this will not change soon. Western or other eastern companies that manage everything themselves except the final plastic production in China do not have the same amount of issues but they are not perfect either. The problem with companies like HB is the fact their learning curve shows hectic rather than regular progress. This is the frustrating part but who else was going to release such a monster for such a price in 2019?

Very true. I hope they apply that to an equally affordable 1/32 H P Halifax. 

I use the very simple test: if it's an error that you can easily ignore six months after a kit's notionally completed, then it's nothing to get neurotic about.

Looking forward to the B-24D (for a PB4Y). Anyone know the scheduled release date? 

Tony

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

50,000 hits. I'd say the discussion is over, let's go put paint to plastic and finish something this year. :P

Ryan

Too bl**dy cold mate. Modelling resumes with Spring. 

Tony