acresearcher

Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

Since the thread is called Initial Observations, I will share my opinion on the B-24J from my initial observations and impressions.

My box was faulty /or maybe all of them are/ it takes me around 60-90 seconds to remove the lid without damaging. So tight.

Boxart - ridiculous

Sprues and their contents - standard HB quality. Chunky details overall. This statement have nothing to do with the size of the kit too.

Decals - nothing serious.

Wheel struts - ridiculous. 

Wheels - ridiculous.

Engravings on the kit - scaled down to 72nd scale those might do. For that scale - ridiculous. 

PE parts - thick.

As for accuracy, the thread is enough as a source.

My conclusion: 

Mediocre kit at any level. Chunky in appearance. Beats the idea of scale modeling - having a decent miniature. Only a master can make this look realistic. Even without the corrections of the wrong shapes, it requires a lot of works on surface details, rivets mostly. 

Just the regular Joe /modeler/ will most likely fail creating decent representation. That includes me. Respectively - many will try, larger part of those will fail, due to the reasons stated above.

However, still an LSP and at a very affordable price. Cool subject for 32nd scale.

I still like it overall, but it isn't a serious kit nor a serious investment. Rather something to play with when bored.

But who do I try to fool? This is Hobby Boss. 

Edited by Eagle Driver

Yeah it’s a shame.  This is it. The only choice and chance to own it.

I guess if someone else did think of doing a 32nd B24 and read this thread, they would be wiser for it?

But who else would do it? Not a Japanese or European company. I don’t know much about HK but they did a B17 and Lancaster, so unless they do a more correct version, TrumpyBoss’s it is...

19 hours ago, titan said:

I don't think it's quite as bad as it's being made out to be. I think some of the hyperbole is a bit... ridiculous.

Exactly...its the standard fair by the standard crew saying the standard things although i must say i have not heard the “box beng tight” before as a kit criticism.

New fertile ground including the cardboard..lol.

Its very hard to take most criticism seriously with the hyperbole and contradictions flooding out the accurate assesments.

Whats acceptable for Revell is a hanging offense for a Chinese producer...how surprising...

2 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Exactly...its the standard fair by the standard crew saying the standard things although i must say i have not heard the “box beng tight” before as a kit criticism.

You misunderstood. Box being tight is not a criticism but an observation.  I mention that simply because there are people who keep their boxes and having roamed through hundreds of kits, this is the first one with a box that I cannot open easily.

and Revell... are they still in model making business? I thought they were producing toys only.

Edited by Eagle Driver

2 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Yes, Revell is still making models. Maybe not to every modelers standard, but to some modelers standards.

1 hour ago, nichenson said:

Revell actually does fairly well at making automotive kits.

That was a joke guys :)

1 hour ago, gunnyax said:

Lot of negatieve people, rivett counters. But you know this before, why you bought the kit. Who is the monkey then.

:blink:

On that last one I won't even start.

Yeah, the kit is nice. But the detail is not corresponding to the size. The 21st century kit with corresponding details is, in my opinion, Eduard's Tempest. If HB applied themselves to this project, much much more would've been transferred into the surface.

Not that I don't like it, I do, but seems deliberately undermined. That beats the purpose of the large scale. Now, re-riveting, re-scribing, not to mention the serious flaws mentioned in the thread.

And...plastic struts??? For that beast? Come on!

As I've said, still this is the only option in 32nd scale, so I prefer to go with it, than to wait another decade for a different option.

By the way I timed my last opening of the box, it took me about 30-35 seconds to remove the lid. Without damaging it of course. Just FYI.

ROTFLMAO.....   to be truthful, rivets are counted by weight.  

There is no excuse for a poorly designed kit ( I.e., turrets with seams running right down or across the middle of the clear glass ) except cost cutting with the availability of technology and previous forays by others in the same area.