acresearcher

Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

20 hours ago, titan said:

It's part of an Electronic warfare system called Carpet. A few B-24s in each group were fitted with it to disrupt German flak radars. Unfortunately the flak could still get lucky and Miss Lace was actually shot down by flak as the last combat loss of the 461st BG.  Carpet had three fishhook antennas in clear domes near the front of the plane and an additional antenna towards the rear.  More on Carpet and other countermeasures here: http://www.cdvandt.org/rcm_vs_wurzburg.htm

Following up on this...did some more digging on APT-2 Carpet Jammers. (I'm an old EA-6B ECMO, so I might have nerded out a bit). Found a couple of links that may be of interest for folks.

http://www.rkk-museum.ru/documents/archives/images/52b-45-01.pdf (it's a pdf scan of a wartime document called "Radio and Radar equipment used by the USAAF" shows all the black box and antenna locations)

http://aafradio.org/ is a goldmine. Check out "Old Crows Corner" and "Docs" He's got pictures of the equipment, plus tons of photos of PBY-2s for those so inclined.  

Also, if you haven't read Alfred Price's "Instruments of Darkness" I can't recommend it enough. It's the EW history of WWII.

-Peter

7 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

Yeah and finding a place for it will not be easy. 300g = 12oz thats 3/4 of a pound! Hold on frt landing gear :help:

Well not really,  the main gear has to hold the majority of the weight.The nose gear would only hold the weight that is keeping it from tail sitting.

I have exchanged a few messages with Profimodeller about replacement turrets for the Lib.

I got the idea on seeing their H-22 (V-1) conversion for the Heinkel He111 H-6, which includes a new dorsal turret.

They didn't know about the B-24 turret but seemed receptive, depending on demand etc

So, feel free to message them on Facebook and chime in asking for turrets!

:)

3 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I have exchanged a few messages with Profimodeller about replacement turrets for the Lib.

I got the idea on seeing their H-22 (V-1) conversion for the Heinkel He111 H-6, which includes a new dorsal turret.

They didn't know about the B-24 turret but seemed receptive, depending on demand etc

So, feel free to message them on Facebook and chime in asking for turrets!

Excellent news! 

On 1/5/2019 at 6:00 AM, EvilCarrot said:

Even with the aforementioned flaws...

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

All plastic gear, big heavy model

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Edited by ScottsGT

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Cowl shapes off.

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

2 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

It's more likely to mean that the engines are underscale in order to accommodate the thickness of the cowl plastic. This is a common problem with aircraft models that feature exposed (or exposable) engines.

Kev

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

Blue skies!

Iain

Wow, that's a lot of boogers. :P Thanks, Gents, much obliged.

Still, if I wait long enough, I assume some of you perfectionist pit bulls will come up with workarounds that don't involve scratching. Pastor John??? I'm definitely intrigued, though like with the B-17, would prefer an earlier version. I assume if this baby sells, we'll get one without a nose turret?

7 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

Blue skies!

Iain

Hi lian

I was only stating the difference between the real thing and the kit. Sorry if I stated something wrong.