Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

12 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

The main landing gear tires are to big to fit in the wheel wells and after market resin tires are weighted (they have a flat spot) so that might not work.

They are indeed too big for the wells. 

I have however had good luck with modifying resin tires with a flat spot back to full round using Milliput.

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I think Squadron may have been first up with their resin wheel replacement AM.  Both wheels and brass legs I think will be necessary on this bad boy (among other things of course).

I think Iain identified that existing am B-17 wheels were the same as for the B-24 in his thread so no new am wheels needed specifically for this one ?.

Enjoyed this review of the B-24 by Phil.

Always found his assesments of relative value and detail etc very close to what I consider realistic value and its merits relating to your time.

To me his reviews are about as unbiased and balanced as you will get on video anywhere.

https://youtu.be/K4aTzRu3UQc

Edited by Darren Howie

3 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Enjoyed this review of the B-24 by Phil.

Always found his assesments of relative value and detail etc very close to what I consider realistic value and its merits relating to your time.

To me his reviews are about as unbiased and balanced as you will get on video anywhere.

https://youtu.be/K4aTzRu3UQc

I agree, a nice review and I found it interesting even though I have no intention of ever buying this kit.

As I was browsing yesterday in the huge pile of B-24 books I purchased I found one page of drawings giving the detail of the location of all the fuselage stations for three Liberator and Privateer versions. Suddenly I realized that the fuselage port side view given for the B-24J (coming seemingly from a TM) had a wing section profile that clearly looks like the HobbyBoss one. I am wondering if this is not the cause of that far too flat wing cross section... Too bad they did not cross check.

You are very probably right Iain.

This is a pity as from an engineering perspective that kit is very, very nicely done. The only major, stupid and not easy to solve engineering decision is the way they divided the turrets into parts. Hopefully somebody will solve that.

Another problem not really linked to engineering but rather to the lack options is the very short range of US machines corresponding to the kit configuration. It looks only some dozens of J planes starting with 44-40849 sn are complying with the kit features. That production block 185-CO ended with 44-40948 but integrated somewhere during the production a larger navigator window commonly associated with later 190-210 blocks. So, looking for other markings will not be that easy.

At least, I found that 44-40870 up to 44-40873 were used by Australia as A72-45 to A72-48.

Some very similar but not fully identical planes were also used by the RAF or Coastal Command such as the Block 45 to 105-CF ones. However, as for the US ones there are differences such as the upper turret type or the navigator window shape.

So, it will not be easy to accurately use other markings without changing some features typically linked to clear parts...

On 12/21/2018 at 5:24 PM, jimbo said:

Well here's one for you all. I received my kit Wednesday and immediately opened it for inspection. Discovered, to my great dismay, that it contained TWO of the main clear sprues 'T' (with the cockpit windscreen and belly turret) and NO sprue 'U', the front and rear turrets. I am NOT happy, regardless of the issues with the turrets. I can't even attempt a fix on my own now.

I will give props to Squadron/MMD customer service (they were NOT the retailer I used, who wouldn't help). MMD at least offered to contact HobbyBoss on my behalf, and for that I am grateful.

So, anyone get two 'U' sprues and no 'T' sprue? I guess having two main windscreens is a plus, good to have a spare. Grrr... HO Ho ho... Merry Christmas all...

Jimbo

Here's a pleasant update, I received the replacement parts in the mail from China today. Very happy with that, and I'm thankful for the manufacturer to be so quickly responsive. At least my kit is complete now; warts and all, I'm very pleased. I appreciate the passion for it being right, or wrong, etc. But to me is a big-ass model kit of a big-ass bird that I have dreamed about since since I firmly landed in 1/32 scale, many moons ago, along with B-17s, B-25's, and really? Lancasters? Life is good. . . Just thought I'd share a bright spot on a dreary day. Happy modeling all!

Jimbo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 4:03 PM, Jan_G said:

this eshop in Poland has them for 129€ + aprox. 10€ delivery within EU and UK

https://www.plastmodel.pl/p/653/38024/hobby-boss-83211-b-24j-liberator-1-32-.html

jan

Would anyone Stateside who has ordered from this vendor or anyone else in Poland have experience with typical ship times for there to here? I know this stuff gets hung-up in transit for various reasons, but just wanted an idea of when concern should be a concept to bandy about.

Thanks.