Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

18 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Space heaters; they'll extend your work season.

We have very good central heating but it doesn't switch the sun on or work effectively with open windows. I can't judge colour except in natural light.

But plug in space heaters must be a boon for other sedentary non-toxic activities, like computing or PC gaming. 

Still waiting to see what the B-24D looks like.

Tony 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, thierry laurent said:

It looks like there is a generic problem regarding accuracy when one considers most continental China model companies. I believe this is probably linked to a combination of factors such as cultural perception of historical or technical accuracy, easy access to relevant data, national pride, perception of user-friendliness importance, business-oriented time to market approach and surely other things. This explains why this will not change soon. Western or other eastern companies that manage everything themselves except the final plastic production in China do not have the same amount of issues but they are not perfect either. The problem with companies like HB is the fact their learning curve shows hectic rather than regular progress. This is the frustrating part but who else was going to release such a monster for such a price in 2019?

Sorry with this i can´t agree. Meng or Takom are too Chinese companies, and accurate problem haven´t.  Only company in China what have still problem with accuracy is Hobby Boss/Trumpeter. Lack of resarch, or normal Laziness ? Only another company, without HB/Trump who have many errors is - Dragon - BUT IN BLACK LABEL series only ! Their WW-2 are top notch. And when HB ignored total WRONG wing profile - this is a real SHAME ! I haven´t problem with simple details (when you can´t make cut-off model or you haven´t a clear parts) but i have problem with total ignorace of one main sign of Liberator - and this is a typical wing profile. For Czech modellers is Liberator a very important subject, because was flight by Czechoslovak airman in Coastal Command Service and i was really wonder for new big scale kit. But this ISN´T a Liberator, this is a PARODY ! And i don´t hope for aftermarket complet wings. Price of Liberator is really from dreams, but execution is totaly WRONG. When you see on Meng, he can be a competitor for Tamiya. And their kits are gorgeous. Hobby Boss/Trump managment probably say - OK, we make a Liberator in 1/32... and make it - but... I don´t understand, why you - when haven´t a their invence - don´t upscaling a very nice and accurate Hasegawa B-24, what it is a still a best B-24 in any scale...

Well, we should not compare apples and oranges.

Takom and Meng are far more recent companies that were either initially created in Hong-Kong or have been created in collaboration with a Hong-Kong partner. By the way, MENG is the sponsor of two British magazines (Air Modeller and AFV modeller). So, they really have a western flavour and/or collaborate intensively with the west. Dragon is older and was also initially created in Hong-Kong.

Trumpeter/HB are in a completely different league. This is why I really stressed the continental China aspect. I also wrote "most" as Shangai or Shenzen companies are more opened to the external world. This is just an observation.

Thierry

Hi all,

I've been looking on the net for the price of this kit.

I can buy this kit in Belgium for 151 Euros=173$. Is this roughly the same price as in the USA ?

My question is  this.

Knowing that I don't care that much about accuracy here and there. Is it worth spending 151 Euros on this kit ?

Most of you know my style of modelling by now.Straight from the box and trying to make it look decent.That's enough for me.

I need a 'big" project for the Multi-engines GB. Either I spend the 151 Euros on this one kit.Or devide it and buy the Revell big ones(He 111,Ju88 )

Edited by Erwin

13 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Hi all,

I can buy this kit in Belgium for 151 Euros=173$. Is this roughly the same price as in the USA ?

The price in the US is higher at $250, but that’s only because the US importer has decreed that the kit is not to be sold for less than MSRP.

I'm not sure how well that is working out for them.  I paid $200 shipped for the kit off of eBay from the UK.

38 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The price in the US is higher at $250, but that’s only because the US importer has decreed that the kit is not to be sold for less than MSRP.

I'm not sure how well that is working out for them.  I paid $200 shipped for the kit off of eBay from the UK.

I got mine $150.00 US and that was from a hobby store not on line

On 1/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, ScottsGT said:

Not opening this can of worms up until the aftermarket takes care of LG and turrets.  Squadron already has tires/wheels.  Hoping Brassin comes out with combo.  

Just incase some have missed it, there is now a set of u/c internal parts available through me.

see the vendors section for details, or go directly to my website.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/internal-undercarriage-set-for-hobby-boss-b-24-liberator

cheers Ali

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Hi all,

My question is  this.

Knowing that I don't care that much about accuracy here and there. Is it worth spending 151 Euros on this kit ?

Most of you know my style of modelling by now.Straight from the box and trying to make it look decent.That's enough for me.

I need a 'big" project for the Multi-engines GB. Either I spend the 151 Euros on this one kit.Or devide it and buy the Revell big ones(He 111,Ju88 )

Erwin, take the time to look more closely as I saw the kit sold by Belgian resellers for more or less 130 euros.