Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

It’s a company you either love or love to hate apparently. Personally, and no offense to Eagle Driver, but I take the “boxart - ridiculous” comment as meant in the modern sense of ridiculous, as in ridiculously good. I rather like the box art - it’s dynamic and refreshing. Is it Steve Anderson/WNW? No. But I like it. My box lid was tight but my first reaction was ”good, it stayed closed in the shipping box”. The HK Lanc, in the same shipping box, the lid was half off. 

FYI I think the props are 1 foot too small in diameter, I haven’t seen that mentioned yet.

jimbo

45 minutes ago, jimbo said:

It’s a company you either love or love to hate apparently. Personally, and no offense to Eagle Driver, but I take the “boxart - ridiculous” comment as meant in the modern sense of ridiculous, as in ridiculously good. I rather like the box art - it’s dynamic and refreshing. Is it Steve Anderson/WNW? No. But I like it. My box lid was tight but my first reaction was ”good, it stayed closed in the shipping box”. The HK Lanc, in the same shipping box, the lid was half off. 

FYI I think the props are 1 foot too small in diameter, I haven’t seen that mentioned yet.

jimbo

Yeah, you are right on that. It is art - some like it, some - not. I prefer the style that Eduard did with their Tempest boxart. More computer-refined. What I didn't like with B-24 particularly was the brush strokes visible. Especially on the vertial stabilizers.

And of course, those were mine observations. Everyone has their own perspective. Some might like the plastic struts. Others might enjoy the amount of riveting ahead of them.

I liked the kit, but I won't hold onto that thing. Never meant to create any fuss. Just share my thoughts.

The price is very low for that beast /my opinion again/, but in the end you get what you payed for.

Too much to deal with in order to make it decent and for that dear fellow modelers, one must love the project with all heart. 

I like those bombers, but not enough to get involved in that improving spiral.

Looking forward for WNW Lanc. 

Edited by Eagle Driver

Yes let the Bombers come, Dornier, Hallifax, Wellington, B-26 and more. Love it. 

Like Eagle Driver said it’s a good price for such a big kit. Can wait for the WNW it’s gone a be a long year of waiting.:D

4 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

A good one :)

Alan, buddy, you have no idea. It is the tightest box of anything that I've ever opened.

It is like glued.

I remember having one kit like that, though I don't recall the manufacturer. The lid (a rather flimsy affair to begin with), was so tight on the bottom box half, that it seemed to actually draw an internal vacuum when trying to lift it off, making it tighter and tighter, much like a Chinese finger trap.

4 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Yeah, you are right on that. It is art - some like it, some - not. I prefer the style that Eduard did with their Tempest boxart. More computer-refined. What I didn't like with B-24 particularly was the brush strokes visible. Especially on the vertial stabilizers.

And of course, those were mine observations. Everyone has their own perspective. Some might like the plastic struts. Others might enjoy the amount of riveting ahead of them.

I liked the kit, but I won't hold onto that thing. Never meant to create any fuss. Just share my thoughts.

The price is very low for that beast /my opinion again/, but in the end you get what you payed for.

Too much to deal with in order to make it decent and for that dear fellow modelers, one must love the project with all heart. 

I like those bombers, but not enough to get involved in that improving spiral.

Looking forward for WNW Lanc. 

All good brother, maybe that’s what I like about it, sort of impressionist, although that style seems incongruous with war. I agree on some of the toy-ishness, the tires are indeed pathetic. My opinion is that development and tooling costs would have been the same to do correct turrets and wings. It’s sloppy and, frankly, in the new millennium, inexcusable. But, still, it’s a ginormous 1/32 B-24 that 99.6% of people that could begin to identify it as such, will do, just fine. I’m really excited to build this kit, way more than the 2 B-17s in my stash. Just waiting on getting the turret glass sprue (which I’ve got a tracking number for, thank you Trumpeter/HobbyBoss).

Jimbo