Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

19 hours ago, titan said:

I don't think it's quite as bad as it's being made out to be. I think some of the hyperbole is a bit... ridiculous.

Exactly...its the standard fair by the standard crew saying the standard things although i must say i have not heard the “box beng tight” before as a kit criticism.

New fertile ground including the cardboard..lol.

Its very hard to take most criticism seriously with the hyperbole and contradictions flooding out the accurate assesments.

Whats acceptable for Revell is a hanging offense for a Chinese producer...how surprising...

2 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Exactly...its the standard fair by the standard crew saying the standard things although i must say i have not heard the “box beng tight” before as a kit criticism.

You misunderstood. Box being tight is not a criticism but an observation.  I mention that simply because there are people who keep their boxes and having roamed through hundreds of kits, this is the first one with a box that I cannot open easily.

and Revell... are they still in model making business? I thought they were producing toys only.

Edited by Eagle Driver

2 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Yes, Revell is still making models. Maybe not to every modelers standard, but to some modelers standards.

1 hour ago, nichenson said:

Revell actually does fairly well at making automotive kits.

That was a joke guys :)

1 hour ago, gunnyax said:

Lot of negatieve people, rivett counters. But you know this before, why you bought the kit. Who is the monkey then.

:blink:

On that last one I won't even start.

Yeah, the kit is nice. But the detail is not corresponding to the size. The 21st century kit with corresponding details is, in my opinion, Eduard's Tempest. If HB applied themselves to this project, much much more would've been transferred into the surface.

Not that I don't like it, I do, but seems deliberately undermined. That beats the purpose of the large scale. Now, re-riveting, re-scribing, not to mention the serious flaws mentioned in the thread.

And...plastic struts??? For that beast? Come on!

As I've said, still this is the only option in 32nd scale, so I prefer to go with it, than to wait another decade for a different option.

By the way I timed my last opening of the box, it took me about 30-35 seconds to remove the lid. Without damaging it of course. Just FYI.

ROTFLMAO.....   to be truthful, rivets are counted by weight.  

There is no excuse for a poorly designed kit ( I.e., turrets with seams running right down or across the middle of the clear glass ) except cost cutting with the availability of technology and previous forays by others in the same area.

11 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

You misunderstood. Box being tight is not a criticism but an observation.  I mention that simply because there are people who keep their boxes and having roamed through hundreds of kits, this is the first one with a box that I cannot open easily.

and Revell... are they still in model making business? I thought they were producing toys only.

I guess with everything else in life that was tight at first use - you just have to keep it up to get a loose fit that becomes easier with time... ;)

Cheers

Alan

1 minute ago, alaninaustria said:

I guess with everything else in life that was tight at first use - you just have to keep it up to get a loose fit that becomes easier with time... ;)

Cheers

Alan

A good one :)

Alan, buddy, you have no idea. It is the tightest box of anything that I've ever opened.

It is like glued.

11 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Revell... are they still in model making business? I thought they were producing toys only.

Is that supposed to be a joke? Because unless you have been in a cave for the past few years you perfectly well know Revell is still producing models. There have several WIPs and completed builds posted here of Revell kits.

I think it is what you can expect from HB and Trumpeter, it’s not WNW.

But I am happy there is a B-24. And every kit has his problem even the in this forum beloved Tamiya kits. If you want accurecy then buy a 1/1 scale. Just build it and enjoy the hobby.