Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

On 1/5/2019 at 6:00 AM, EvilCarrot said:

Even with the aforementioned flaws...

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

All plastic gear, big heavy model

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Edited by ScottsGT

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Cowl shapes off.

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

2 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

It's more likely to mean that the engines are underscale in order to accommodate the thickness of the cowl plastic. This is a common problem with aircraft models that feature exposed (or exposable) engines.

Kev

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

Blue skies!

Iain

Wow, that's a lot of boogers. :P Thanks, Gents, much obliged.

Still, if I wait long enough, I assume some of you perfectionist pit bulls will come up with workarounds that don't involve scratching. Pastor John??? I'm definitely intrigued, though like with the B-17, would prefer an earlier version. I assume if this baby sells, we'll get one without a nose turret?

7 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

Blue skies!

Iain

Hi lian

I was only stating the difference between the real thing and the kit. Sorry if I stated something wrong.

Since the thread is called Initial Observations, I will share my opinion on the B-24J from my initial observations and impressions.

My box was faulty /or maybe all of them are/ it takes me around 60-90 seconds to remove the lid without damaging. So tight.

Boxart - ridiculous

Sprues and their contents - standard HB quality. Chunky details overall. This statement have nothing to do with the size of the kit too.

Decals - nothing serious.

Wheel struts - ridiculous. 

Wheels - ridiculous.

Engravings on the kit - scaled down to 72nd scale those might do. For that scale - ridiculous. 

PE parts - thick.

As for accuracy, the thread is enough as a source.

My conclusion: 

Mediocre kit at any level. Chunky in appearance. Beats the idea of scale modeling - having a decent miniature. Only a master can make this look realistic. Even without the corrections of the wrong shapes, it requires a lot of works on surface details, rivets mostly. 

Just the regular Joe /modeler/ will most likely fail creating decent representation. That includes me. Respectively - many will try, larger part of those will fail, due to the reasons stated above.

However, still an LSP and at a very affordable price. Cool subject for 32nd scale.

I still like it overall, but it isn't a serious kit nor a serious investment. Rather something to play with when bored.

But who do I try to fool? This is Hobby Boss. 

Edited by Eagle Driver

Yeah it’s a shame.  This is it. The only choice and chance to own it.

I guess if someone else did think of doing a 32nd B24 and read this thread, they would be wiser for it?

But who else would do it? Not a Japanese or European company. I don’t know much about HK but they did a B17 and Lancaster, so unless they do a more correct version, TrumpyBoss’s it is...