Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

From what I managed to dig since my initial post on page 39, H and J were basically the same airplane with turret difference, L was lightened but overall - the same thing. Nothing major. 

So even if this HB thing has issues, I think with not-so-much-work it can be turned into whatever of these.

Obviously OOTB it wouldn't be sufficient enough.

I would assume that on the field a mix could have been made and probably at some point it was. It was wartime after all.

56 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Yup - my thoughts exactly!  :)

I also have a masochistic streak that means I quite enjoy trying to fix things...

Not had a chance to look at ball turret in any detail Nige - but I will soon - still working on a kit review for LSP.

If you have any thoughts?

Iain

Me too Iain, OOB is great but it wears a little thin after a while eh...

I haven't looked closely at anything other than the IP yet. I know nothing about the subject so cannot advise. I do have a reference book on the way from the USA so as soon as it arrives I'll check it out.

The IP is very flat looking and could do with a replacement that has more defined bezels etc. Airscale to the rescue??

2 hours ago, Gloucester Nige said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen no mention of the ball turret on this kit? Does one assume it's OK accuracy wise then??

The ball turret seems similar to the one HK provided in their B-17 series. It does have a few more bells and whistles inside that HK did not have (like the ammo boxes), but it appears to be fairly accurate. Always room for improvement (i.e., has no small armor plate, or a butt pad, hand or foot controls, or shell ejection channels). I don't think the kit has any provisions to have the turret extended; only retracted. Would be easy enough to make it extended though. Size looks comparable to the HK one, and it certainly looks like a Sperry ball turret.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

2 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

From what I managed to dig since my initial post on page 39, H and J were basically the same airplane with turret difference, L was lightened but overall - the same thing. Nothing major. 

So even if this HB thing has issues, I think with not-so-much-work it can be turned into whatever of these.

Obviously OOTB it wouldn't be sufficient enough.

I would assume that on the field a mix could have been made and probably at some point it was. It was wartime after all.

http://www.usaaf-in-cbi.com/Liberator_ID/Liberator_ID.htm?fbclid=IwAR0efE-oxSOnQFjrP-WqlUpcDr-cEPd7rmje4DV_Xm8Qs-SlA16Z0wYdFDU

Try this link for all your B-24 needs! I asked the same question about J to H and it turns out there are so many variations even within variations that it makes yer head hurt!

The end result is you cant build a H from the J as the bomb aimers glazing is completely different to the J. Also there are several different turret configurations according to which company built that block etc.

Makes 109G variations a doddle LOL.

56 minutes ago, Wackyracer said:

http://www.usaaf-in-cbi.com/Liberator_ID/Liberator_ID.htm?fbclid=IwAR0efE-oxSOnQFjrP-WqlUpcDr-cEPd7rmje4DV_Xm8Qs-SlA16Z0wYdFDU

Try this link for all your B-24 needs! I asked the same question about J to H and it turns out there are so many variations even within variations that it makes yer head hurt!

The end result is you cant build a H from the J as the bomb aimers glazing is completely different to the J. Also there are several different turret configurations according to which company built that block etc.

Makes 109G variations a doddle LOL.

Which makes it a bit useless for me. Rather have a completed kit with errors, instead of one that is perfectly accurate, but drained my whole energy.

This is just a point of view of course. But you know, I rather glue the bugger and enjoy it, than spend 3 weeks reading about a plane that I don't care much about. I don't want to know much about its turrets, simply because it doesn't matter for me.

I know that many will disagree with me on that, but in the end, too much accuracy leads to fewer built kits and enormous stashes. 

A bit annoying.

But thank you very much for the info, that clarifies things to some extend.

Too bad that so much time is wasted commenting on accuracy of the kits, rather than building.

13 hours ago, Gloucester Nige said:

The IP is very flat looking and could do with a replacement that has more defined bezels etc. Airscale to the rescue??

if anyone has any factory drawings of the panel for the version featured in the kit I could probably make a replacement set for it

I checked aircorps library and they don't

Peter

11 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Which makes it a bit useless for me. Rather have a completed kit with errors, instead of one that is perfectly accurate, but drained my whole energy.

This is just a point of view of course. But you know, I rather glue the bugger and enjoy it, than spend 3 weeks reading about a plane that I don't care much about. I don't want to know much about its turrets, simply because it doesn't matter for me.

I know that many will disagree with me on that, but in the end, too much accuracy leads to fewer built kits and enormous stashes. 

A bit annoying.

But thank you very much for the info, that clarifies things to some extend.

Too bad that so much time is wasted commenting on accuracy of the kits, rather than building.

You hit tack on cranium.  The more references the less building. The more time trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, the less building and into the stash.  I knew a guy who could never build a model due to the errors in the kit.  Had a stash of thousands of airliner kits.  Died and never built a one.  That's sad and a testimony to the anal retentiveness that has crept into our hobby.  I would always encourage him to just build the darn thing and enjoy it.  He just couldn't do it, had to make it perfect.  For those modelers that do the research into what is wrong and the corrections needed, I salute you.  Knowing the errors that are inherent in this kit, I plan on building it as is and enjoying the build.  Thanks to Larry I got some good photo's of the old Revell Buffalo Bill Liberator but the serial numbers aren't clear.  If any one has this kit and can give me the serials I would greatly appreciate the help as I am trying to determine if there ever was such an animal.

23 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Yup - my thoughts exactly!  :)

I also have a masochistic streak that means I quite enjoy trying to fix things...

:deadhorse:

Has to be a subject I'm really interested in though, and Liberator ticks that box nicely!

Not had a chance to look at ball turret in any detail Nige - but I will soon - still working on a kit review for LSP.

If you have any thoughts?

Iain

The Ball itself may be okay, but IF they perchance used the Monogram kit as Ref. in any way,

would check the location of it as the 1/48 kit has it either too far forward or aft.

Can't recall which at the moment...

Sorry Phasey, but to avoid polluting this already confusing (but interesting) thread it would be better if you post accurate information in one go.

IF they had used the Monogram kit as a reference the wing issue would not have happened.

I got my kit yesterday, what a huge amount of plastic.

Cees

21 hours ago, airscale said:

if anyone has any factory drawings of the panel for the version featured in the kit I could probably make a replacement set for it

I checked aircorps library and they don't

Peter

No drawings, but for fun, if you want to drive your self crazy with  instrumentation and cockpit detailing have a look at this B-24D virtual cockpit tour:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-1.html

Hey folks,

Have been thinking about pulling the trigger, because I'd love to build my uncle's a/c. He was a RTO/Waist Gunner in the 461st BG, 15th AF.  Not too concerned about the kit as I'll have to modify it to an L variant anyway.  My question though, is what are the little fairings underneath the fuselage? Seems to be at least 4 aerodynamic fairings covering some sort of antenna? At least that's my guess... What say the crowd? Iain, Am loving what you're doing, as it'll allow me to build one that I've wanted to for years!

-Peter

MissLace-large.jpg