Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

1 minute ago, Madelf75 said:

I just wonder if anyone has came up with a fix for the wings ,I dont feel that is a big deal but i am sure it is something that can be done .

Hey Steve, yes indeed there is! See Andy's link below for Iain's WIP thread were is is indeed attempting a fix for the wings.

6 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Ahem

Just now, Iain (32SIG) said:

Yes - next question?  :)

Iain

OK, so can we talk about the other big error now?

tslibby51.jpg

Does that look even slightly like this to you?

b24-1-jpg.463387

b24_nacelle-3a.jpg

b24-consolidated-liberator-ww2-bomber-pl

Notice how the cowl profile is wrong - too rounded on the sides vs the almost flat sided profile of the real thing?  Never mind how the side air inlets are the wrong shape and lack interior finishing?

I know,  I just can't lave bad enough alone

Joe

OK, I started to read the thread from Page 1, paragraph 1. Spent like 10 minutes and got a headache. 

It is obviously very complex project, due to discrepancies, embedded errors, complexity of the subject etc.

I have simple question, if anybody or even many-bodies can reply, I would be more than grateful:

Can HB B-24J kit be turned into e decent J variant and is it suitable for modifications to be built into H and L variants?

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year!

9 hours ago, Sanderman said:

OK, so can we talk about the other big error now?

Notice how the cowl profile is wrong - too rounded on the sides vs the almost flat sided profile of the real thing?  Never mind how the side air inlets are the wrong shape and lack interior finishing?

I know,  I just can't lave bad enough alone

Joe

Yes - aware of cowl fronts - and have a fix planned.

Do you have the kit Joe? There are inserts for those intakes that improve the look - but far from perfect.

Iain

18 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Yes - aware of cowl fronts - and have a fix planned.

Iain

A flat bit on the top and bottom between the sides? It looks like they've maintained the radius on the plastic part but the plane has a decreasing one? Nightmares of decreasing radius corners riding sportbikes.

I wonder how much it's actually off when viewed square to the end of the prop shaft.

Matty

It's a complex shape Matty - my thoughts are to cut away the inner sides of those intakes and install a new, complete, ring inside the cowl to form a curved liner that will form the inner faces of the intakes.

This will then need to be re-profiled as the front edges of these intakes curve in a little when viewed from the side.

Slice of brass for the splitter...

The liner will either be based on a suitable spare cowling 'rim' (if I have one of a suitable size), or I'll turn up a pattern on the lathe and vac one.

This will then be put in rubber and copies made.

But all fixable IMHO.

Will cover off in my Liberator GR Mk.VI build - after wings and turrets.

Privateer ones are different again, in addition to being rotated 90 deg...  :)

Iain

48 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

OK, I started to read the thread from Page 1, paragraph 1. Spent like 10 minutes and got a headache. 

It is obviously very complex project, due to discrepancies, embedded errors, complexity of the subject etc.

I have simple question, if anybody or even many-bodies can reply, I would be more than grateful:

Can HB B-24J kit be turned into e decent J variant and is it suitable for modifications to be built into H and L variants?

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year!

Yes, I believe so - with work.

How much depends on how much you want to do re. fixing some of the shapes, and which particular airframe you wish to build?

Depending on airframe you may need new turrets/gun positions/nose glazings.

Iain

6 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

which particular airframe you wish to build?

Iain

Actually I am researching for potential masks sets for various stabilizer art works which will be ugly view if done with decals.

I think H,J and L have the greatest potential.

Some Skulls will look awesome. From what I know, H and L differ slightly from J. For the untrained eye they don't.

And I am guessing a lot of folks out there will consider doing HB J-variant into some of these to take the path less known.

However, I am no expert /nor big fan/ of Liberator planes and I could use some knowledge in that matter.

We are starting work on some J masks next week. 

But maybe I can widen the perspective on the subject.

My assumption is that there will be tons of wrong details, starting from rivets and panel lines, up until major flaws.

But it is Hobby Boss after all, not Tamiya or ZM. 

And it is /at least I got it for/ 1/3rd of the Lancaster's price.

Anything better in 32nd scale on the subject? So either bite the bullet or...

Yup - my thoughts exactly!  :)

I also have a masochistic streak that means I quite enjoy trying to fix things...

:deadhorse:

Has to be a subject I'm really interested in though, and Liberator ticks that box nicely!

Not had a chance to look at ball turret in any detail Nige - but I will soon - still working on a kit review for LSP.

If you have any thoughts?

Iain