Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

I bought mine yesterday and was disappointed with the turrets,...... especially the frosted over nose turret and the joint lines and seam pins of the rear turret!

However some good news,...... especially for modellers of RAF & RAAF subjects is the fact that my friend Franta at DK Decals is releasing a decal sheet for the big kit;

32007_B24_RAF.jpg

Should be;

1x RAAF

1x RAF 100 Group, Bomber Command

1 x RAF SEAC

1X RAF Coastal Command (311 Czech Sqn)

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Big Tony

16 minutes ago, Big Tony said:

I bought mine yesterday and was disappointed with the turrets,...... especially the frosted over nose turret and the joint lines and seam pins of the rear turret!

However some good news,...... especially for modellers of RAF & RAAF subjects is the fact that my friend Franta at DK Decals is releasing a decal sheet for the big kit;

32007_B24_RAF.jpg

Should be;

1x RAAF

1x RAF 100 Group, Bomber Command

1 x RAF SEAC

1X RAF Coastal Command (311 Czech Sqn)

Cheers

Tony

...sooo good news..., I just bought one for 115€ in Germany...

:beer4:

this kit is causing me real issues, I keep changing my mind on which plane to build. Natural metal finish is out for me and I don't like nose art birds so those are also out. I thought I didn't want to do a US scheme and I would do RAF coastal command. However I keep jumping between US desert, US navy, RAF bomber command, RAF SEA, India or Chinese schemes (no natural metal I'm seem to recall !). Unlike any kit I've previously had, I can't work out what I'm going to build.  I'm not fussed about accuracy (it will look like a B24) so not worried about different turrets or equipment as long as it's roughly right. I'm currently thinking 100 Group RAF but is anyone else having trouble working out what they will build ???

27 minutes ago, npb748r said:

this kit is causing me real issues, I keep changing my mind on which plane to build. Natural metal finish is out for me and I don't like nose art birds so those are also out. I thought I didn't want to do a US scheme and I would do RAF coastal command. However I keep jumping between US desert, US navy, RAF bomber command, RAF SEA, India or Chinese schemes (no natural metal I'm seem to recall !). Unlike any kit I've previously had, I can't work out what I'm going to build.  I'm not fussed about accuracy (it will look like a B24) so not worried about different turrets or equipment as long as it's roughly right. I'm currently thinking 100 Group RAF but is anyone else having trouble working out what they will build ???

Not quite the same but the HO-229 I'm building for the multi eng group build I'm completely flummixed as to leave the skin clear, do the metal & wood or camo... no idea of what I want 'cause I want all 3 !!

23 hours ago, spacewolf said:

Not quite the same but the HO-229 I'm building for the multi eng group build I'm completely flummixed as to leave the skin clear, do the metal & wood or camo... no idea of what I want 'cause I want all 3 !!

Easy, just buy a few more sprues (eg: main framework, u/c) and build another

Just seen a very good thread on LSP about a chap who restores turrets. Well worth watching! 

This B-24 is a kit that screams 'Start me' because its all there but then I cant because I want metal inserts for the gear, resin wheels, better guns and maybe a Zoom instrument panel. Still not sure if I can live with the engines but, to be honest, you could just build it and have a very big B-24! If you do it properly you could even build it with the kit turrets and make it possible to lift them out and replace with the aftermarket versions - which will hopefully arrive! So mine will sit in its box until I can get the extras I want. But hopefully someone will start a build thread?

5 minutes ago, SimonCornes said:

Just seen a very good thread on LSP about a chap who restores turrets. Well worth watching! 

This B-24 is a kit that screams 'Start me' because its all there but then I cant because I want metal inserts for the gear, resin wheels, better guns and maybe a Zoom instrument panel. Still not sure if I can live with the engines but, to be honest, you could just build it and have a very big B-24! If you do it properly you could even build it with the kit turrets and make it possible to lift them out and replace with the aftermarket versions - which will hopefully arrive! So mine will sit in its box until I can get the extras I want. But hopefully someone will start a build thread?

Ahem