Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, but I purchased the HB 1/32 B-24J and want to convert it to a B-24H that my Uncle flew in.  He was the right waist gunner in the Ken-O-Kay from the 732nd Sq 453rd Bomb group.  I have photos of the aircraft and will have to come up with a way (masks or decals) to replicate the markings.  I am not sure how to post photos here or I would post the photos I have.

Hopefully the differences between the H and J are not to difficult for me to correct.

Greg

8 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, but I purchased the HB 1/32 B-24J and want to convert it to a B-24H that my Uncle flew in.  He was the right waist gunner in the Ken-O-Kay from the 732nd Sq 453rd Bomb group.  I have photos of the aircraft and will have to come up with a way (masks or decals) to replicate the markings.  I am not sure how to post photos here or I would post the photos I have.

Hopefully the differences between the H and J are not to difficult for me to correct.

Greg

is this this AC that you are talking about 

Close  Up of Consolidated B-24H-10-FO  Liberator 42-52302 "Ken-O-Kay"

4 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

Greg

The big thing you'll need is the Ford nose.  It's a different shape than the nose on the J though very subtly. More prominent is the s-shaped panel line/junction between the nose and the rest of the fuselage. The rear frame of the bombardiers window is also slanted aft instead of at a 90 degree vertical angle as on the J. Additionally the waist guns are probably enclosed with a glass window rather than the doors on the J.  There are a few other differences though they are mostly minor. Consolidated Mess is a great reference book for additional differences.  The author is actually the originator of this topic.

Beware if you get the Kindle edition of the book you maybe only able to read it on a desktop computer as the text is very small and there's no magnification function built-in. That makes it somewhat difficult to read on a portable device.  That's no slight against the actual book or the author, just a Kindle peculiarity.

Edited by titan

1 hour ago, titan said:

The big thing you'll need is the Ford nose.  It's a different shape than the nose on the J though very subtly. More prominent is the s-shaped panel line/junction between the nose and the rest of the fuselage. The rear frame of the bombardiers window is also slanted aft instead of at a 90 degree vertical angle as on the J. Additionally the waist guns are probably enclosed with a glass window rather than the doors on the J.  There are a few other differences though they are mostly minor. Consolidated Mess is a great reference book for additional differences.  The author is actually the originator of this topic.

Beware if you get the Kindle edition of the book you maybe only able to read it on a desktop computer as the text is very small and there's no magnification function built-in. That makes it somewhat difficult to read on a portable device.  That's no slight against the actual book or the author, just a Kindle peculiarity.

Thanks!  I will look up more pics of the H and J so I can see what I have to do.  I am not trying to make it perfect, but just a good representation of his plane.  I will probably be hanging it from the ceiling of my basement as I don't think I have room to display it.

just in case you have any interest in the history of the aircraft.  I uploaded the final flight history and a photo I believe to be the aircraft.

Ken-O-Kay.png

32610313585-40c6c71bd5-o.jpg

Not sure why they show up so small.

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

38 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Thanks!  I will look up more pics of the H and J so I can see what I have to do.  I am not trying to make it perfect, but just a good representation of his plane.  I will probably be hanging it from the ceiling of my basement as I don't think I have room to display it.

just in case you have any interest in the history of the aircraft.  I uploaded the final flight history and a photo I believe to be the aircraft.

Ken-O-Kay.png

Greg

Another note, that plane had the earlier Martin A-3C dorsal turret.  The A-3C had a symmetrical lower-profile dome.  The one in the kit is a not-so-great representation of an A-3D where the profile rises towards the rear of the turret.  

Edited by titan

5 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

Ken-O-Kay.png

Greg

Just an FYI, when I clicked on the image you posted of the aircraft, it brought me to the website which was immediately flagged by my Malwarebytes as having malware on it.  It may be one of the advertisements on the page but if you don't have a malware blocker/checker, I'd be careful visiting the site.  It may be perfectly fine and Malwarebytes does flag legitimate sites on occasion if they fit the heuristics it's looking for but forewarned is forearmed.

That side insignia is huge!  Don't recall seeing one that big before on a 24    Does anyone know the diameter of the roundel part?  I'm thinking Jennings might know.  That's one of his specialties.

Come to think of it, I would love to see Fundekals do a dissertation on B-24's and their markings just like they did with the Corsair and have decals to match.  A ton of research would be required I'm sure.  Just a thought.

Edited by Patrick HMD

13 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Just an FYI, when I clicked on the image you posted of the aircraft, it brought me to the website which was immediately flagged by my Malwarebytes as having malware on it.  It may be one of the advertisements on the page but if you don't have a malware blocker/checker, I'd be careful visiting the site.  It may be perfectly fine and Malwarebytes does flag legitimate sites on occasion if they fit the heuristics it's looking for but forewarned is forearmed.

Not sure why it did that.  I posted it using Post Image which I never used before.  I wonder if it is that site?