Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

2 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Also going to glue the two halves of that infamous turret together and polish - ready to copy a pattern for vacuum forming.

Laters...

Iain

Hello Iain,

I’d be dead keen to purchase a set of vacform turrets from you - do you plan to do the rear turret as well? 

All the best,

Tom

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

just had the postie deliver mine, it's big and beautiful - my biggest issue is that I keep changing my mind about colour scheme, think it will be RAF coastal command but I need to put more effort into this. 

Always had a thing for sub hunters.  Wonder if anyone would release a conversion with the required radars, rockets, depth charges, etc?  That would be  a pretty cool Liberator, although my preference would be for the earlier version with the glass nose, chin radome & rockets on the forward fuselage.  

A kind member who loves you all and wants you to be happy has kindly offered his turret parts to me and has them in the mail. ( I hope ) I will be releasing a resin and vacuformed replacement set for this model.  and as I did in 1/48th for the Monogram Liberators, I will offer two different sets. one Emerson/ Consolidated pairing, and a twin Consolidated pair for those wishing to do birds so equipped. Realizing time is money. Winter is setting in, and folks have lots of building time,  I will have these sets available in my Ebay store within a day of getting them from our friend. So maybe next week? Watch this space for details.

Edited by 109ace

12 minutes ago, 109ace said:

A kind member who loves you all and wants you to be happy has kindly offered his turret parts to me and has them in the mail. ( I hope ) I will be releasing a resin and vacuformed replacement set for this model.  and as I did in 1/48th for the Monogram Liberators, I will offer two different sets. one Emerson/ Consolidated pairing, and a twin Consolidated pair for those wishing to do birds so equipped. Realizing time is money. Winter is setting in, and folks have lots of building time,  I will have these sets available in my Ebay store within a day of getting them from our friend. 

One day to complete masters and start production of sets? You’ve got to be kidding us.... are you the same guy that flogged those resin P-51 tails with fillets for the Revell P-51?

3 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

One day to complete masters and start production of sets? You’ve got to be kidding us.... are you the same guy that flogged those resin P-51 tails with fillets for the Revell P-51?

Not kidding. I don't have a real job. I got the time. I also have conquered the learning curve with my two turret sets for the Monogram 1/48 Liberator kit. These two sets are my hottest seller since release a couple months ago. Lessons learned with these will serve me well with the Hobby Boss turrets. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302911252907

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302888809947

Edited by 109ace

8 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

OK - have a 22% Davis airfoil, as applicable to the B-24, that I'm reasonably happy with - and that appears to match photos of the real aeroplane.

Have done a quick overlay in Photoshop and have a plan - will start a build thread later today and illustrate what I'm thinking.

Also going to glue the two halves of that infamous turret together and polish - ready to copy a pattern for vacuum forming.

Will also do a full review of the kit, with observations so far, for this site over the Christmas period.

Laters...

Iain

You finished yet!!!!!  Turret order here aswell.

17 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Local Hobbytown had three on the shelf a few days ago. Stopped in yesterday to kill some time and all three were gone. Fortunately for me, I fall in the "TLAR (that looks about right)" category when it comes to the B-24. Would love to do a PB4Y-1 of either VMD-154 or VMD-254. It won't be perfect or 100% accurate, but it will look cool as s#!t when it's done!

Go for it Dave:  IT would be cool, it's the concept and execution.  All we need is an ERCO Ball Turret.