Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

If anyone is looking for a good book on the -24, as a reference and to just get you in the mood to build this beast, I highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/B-24-Combat-Missions-Liberator-Operations/dp/B01FEKLJFA

31yWeOW8DJL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's got awesome full color interior shots of each crew position and some wonderful "I was there" stories from former crew members.   I got mine on the bargan rack at B&N for around $15, worth every penny.   Believe they also have other books in this series on the B-29, B-17, Mustang and Spitfire.  Hoping they release some more in the future. 

15 minutes ago, John1 said:

If anyone is looking for a good book on the -24, as a reference and to just get you in the mood to build this beast, I highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/B-24-Combat-Missions-Liberator-Operations/dp/B01FEKLJFA

31yWeOW8DJL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's got awesome full color interior shots of each crew position and some wonderful "I was there" stories from former crew members.   I got mine on the bargan rack at B&N for around $15, worth every penny.   Believe they also have other books in this series on the B-29, B-17, Mustang and Spitfire.  Hoping they release some more in the future. 

Thanks John,

Just bought this for £7:27 delivered to UK on Amazon!!

Just now, Gloucester Nige said:

Thanks John,

Just bought this for £7:27 delivered to UK on Amazon!!

Hope you enjoy it.  I originally bought the B-29 as a lark because it was on sale.  Figured it would be just a basic "coffee table" book with minimal info / pics of much use.  Nothing could be further from the truth.   IMO, these are worth it just for the interior pictures of the crew positions, radios, radars, crew uniforms, etc.   Once I read the B-29 book, I went and purchased every other one in the series.   

When you get the book, read the sad story of B-24J "Hookem Cow".   The pic of the charred set of goggles from the crash site is a reminder of the human toll of war.   I think I'd actually buy this kit if an aftermarket outfit released decals for this ship.   

"Indeed - 22% should be the thickness/chord ratio - on a quick measure it looks like the kit is almost bang-on root thickness wise (don't set this in concrete just yet) - but the shape needs tweaking."

More than tweaking. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. While the thickness chord ratio may be close to correct, there is way too much below the centre line, and way to little above. Fixing it will throw out all the nacelles above and below, and someone noted that the undercarriage fairings were very shallow - because the wig is too deep on the underside. I doubt even a dose of twerking will help.

Looking at it I think you'll have to cut off the nacelles from the wings, and then make a large number of v-grooves on the inside of the wings lenghtwise, so that they can be formed (or bend) over templates with the correct wing profile.  Then glue the templates in place, reinforce the insides of the now correct(ed) wings with epoxy and glassfiber to make them stiff again and place the wings on a flat surface to let them dry. In the meantime keep your fingers crossed... If everything has gone well, put on the nacelles again and modify the the wheel wells. 

9 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Indeed - 22% should be the thickness/chord ratio - on a quick measure it looks like the kit is almost bang-on root thickness wise (don't set this in concrete just yet) - but the shape needs tweaking.

As said, will ponder on this over next week, or so.

Nige - great to see you back!

Are you going to dive in and build?

Iain

This is kind of what i expected and the person that posted the silly overlay image has got it completely wrong as most do when overlaying images over images, even going on to se he was categorically correct in his mistaken assumption....

16 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

This is kind of what i expected and the person that posted the silly overlay image has got it completely wrong as most do when overlaying images over images, even going on to se he was categorically correct in his mistaken assumption....

May be that he got the right cross-section but in the wrong place i.e. half way down the wing and not the wing root.

I'm going to stay off this thread now - but will start a build thread in the New Year, as part of the Group Build, and go through some of the things I personally want to improve and get feedback from any interested parties - like we did with the He219 project - which was very much an LSP team effort with a host of members chipping in with constructive thoughts, observations and information.

Hopefully there will be a few other builds too...

*If* I can find a definitive wing root cross-section then I'll have a go at improving the look - I definitely believe it's doable.

However, nicely built and painted from the box I still think you'll have a stunning model.

Yes - it appears to be a bit of a curates egg - but I'm still more than happy for what I have, for the price I paid (same as a Tamiya Spit XVIe).

Lots of modelling fun to be had with these I reckon.

I've revised my plans though - now leaning towards a Coastal Command GR Mk VI, as well as the Privateer I mentioned a while back.

I stayed away from the forums for a while earlier this year because of how wound up people could get over what should be a fun and relaxing hobby!  :)

Iain

35 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

May be that he got the right cross-section but in the wrong place i.e. half way down the wing and not the wing root.

Which is why I did the quick number crunching on the kit wing.

Quite possibly a good Davis airfoil cross section overlay - but not the correct thickness/chord ratio - stretched vertically, that cross section would probably be more prototypical.

But as I said earlier - don't take anything I type as read just now (or at any other time)!  :)

Iain

2 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Are you guys for serious... the wing camber and profile are off - I get that, but reengineering the wing to reflect the original is a pretty big undertaking... good luck with that!

I probably couldn’t tell the difference...

Cheers

Alan 

Yeah good luck to anyone with the time/skill/inclination to have a go.

If Monogram did get it right 40 or 50 years ago why are we having this conversation in 2018/19?

To be honest I think it's sloppy research and they have ensured that any other company that would contemplate giving us an accurate B-24 is now gone. Their focus is on the Chinese market where most people wouldn't know any difference. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are known for the sloppy research across most of their products. They are more intent on flooding the market with their kits than providing an accurate representation of a subject. Seeing the balls up with the B-24 I'd rather put my money into the HKM Lancaster or WNG Lancaster.

Interesting and have just had mine from my wife for Christmas. As we are all aware the B-24 was possibly and outsourcing nightmare in that each factory chose its own way to build with unique mods. When I was researching the B-24 I found pictures of the same plane with early open waist positions and then fully glazed in within a later picture. For the money it's good value imo and the turret frosting is poor but it will be replaced I'm sure you HB as for aftermarket it could be a great opportunity, ford nose etc. Let's see some built. Let's see some nice decal options and masks. 

2 cents worth:

Well I hope that those working there don’t experience too much stress as a result. Mistakes happen. 

Just a hunch but it seems like they had a top shelf product but had time pressure to get it out by this Christmas and so cut corners...

Of course it is great they brought out this kit, no doubt. But it’s like they thought oh well, it’s not 100% but we’ll put it out for the mass market anyway. 

HB are on a winner with this one, but a revision/ replacement of the turrets is in order. The wing, for the average consumer/ builder of models, is a take it or leave it proposition.

Would be great if they revised the kit but it’s over to the ‘plastic surgeons’ :) for now...

Edited by Pup7309