Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Lets all remember when this was fun sticking parts together...I had a "had to be 100% correct" phase and I never want to return to that mindset.

Respectfully,

Ryan

I remember those days all too well; that's what my "den fighters" thread is all about (with the exception of cleaning up all seams and weathering them to my satisfaction).

Wing section definately wrong and the design of the spar and wing attachment whilst strong , is terrible for working on as you would normally expect too.( they would have you join the top and bottom of wing whilst attaching it to the fuselage...). Im hopeful that a davis section can be achieved with some brute force and general flattening of the top section, .

going to vac my own one piece turret tops using original top cut off, filled with milliput then vacforming over the cleaned up milliput.. should work an remove the other major deficiency in the kit, 

Edited by Markjames1968

6 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

For those hoping to correct the cross section of the airfoil, here's what you're up against:

5rsxdJT.jpg

Just an FYI post. Images previously posted in this thread were simply combined to show the true airfoil shape superimposed over the kit's parts.

D

Your image categorically shows that the kit wing is 50% thicker than it should be (at 40% chord, not 30 for max thickness as the real aircraft ) ... is that definately the case ? Does that 50% extra thickness run all the way to the tip?

19 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

For those hoping to correct the cross section of the airfoil, here's what you're up against:

5rsxdJT.jpg

Just an FYI post. Images previously posted in this thread were simply combined to show the true airfoil shape superimposed over the kit's parts.

D

Hi. Just wondering is your cross-section to scale? Not saying it’s not but if the black line is meant to be enlarged that could change things (though maybe not the ease to solving the problem, if that’s even possible or worth the effort)

From other suggestions: Are you guys suggesting a fill or vac- form of the whole wing? Seems like a huge job. 

PS the Monogram and Hasegawa kits have an even more pronounced front/top wing curve, assuming they are correct of course.

Edited by Pup7309

I'll be looking at this over the next week - I have some thoughts.

Fuselage is on my knee getting a coat of looking at (with a glass of Southern comfort in one hand) - wings to follow.

I *have* to get my 2-seat Spitfire finished over Christmas - then I plan to start a build thread with corrections as I go, if anyone's interested...

Where did you get your airfoil cross-section from D?

Edit - I do have some ID vacs (now Tigger) tucked away somewhere - but I wouldn't use any cross section there as ref.

Iain

Well here's one for you all. I received my kit Wednesday and immediately opened it for inspection. Discovered, to my great dismay, that it contained TWO of the main clear sprues 'T' (with the cockpit windscreen and belly turret) and NO sprue 'U', the front and rear turrets. I am NOT happy, regardless of the issues with the turrets. I can't even attempt a fix on my own now.

I will give props to Squadron/MMD customer service (they were NOT the retailer I used, who wouldn't help). MMD at least offered to contact HobbyBoss on my behalf, and for that I am grateful.

So, anyone get two 'U' sprues and no 'T' sprue? I guess having two main windscreens is a plus, good to have a spare. Grrr... HO Ho ho... Merry Christmas all...

Jimbo

51 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

Your image categorically shows that the kit wing is 50% thicker than it should be (at 40% chord, not 30 for max thickness as the real aircraft ) ... is that definately the case ? 

Yes.

51 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

Does that 50% extra thickness run all the way to the tip?

I don't know. Someone with the kit should be able to tell.

45 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

Just wondering is your cross-section to scale?

From the leading edges to trailing edges of both, yes.

34 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Where did you get your airfoil cross-section from D?

This post: 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/77661-hobby-boss-132-b-24j-initial-observations/&do=findComment&comment=1094949

I did check that previously-posted airfoil drawing's authenticity, and it certainly appears to be 100% correct. 

HTH,

D