Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

I'm looking for the D version, so at least issue with the front turret is no problem for me (IF they don't forget to polish the moulds for the clear nose :)).

I suppose that the issue with the wing profile is most noticeable on the upper side. Are the lower wing halves somewhat usable in respect to the real profile? Maybe some new (for example 3d printed) upper halves that imitate the Davis profile could bring at least some improvement? Or are the wings as a whole incorrect, especially concering the position/hight where the trailing edge meets the fuselage?

Alex

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I'm not crying about anything, my simple post was that there probably is a somewhat simple fix for some of the issues.

Understood, I wasnt trying to say you were at all. Just more or less agreeing that If certain egregious issues can be fixed on other models, and the right person comes along with the desire and knowledge, it probably can be fixed. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Understood, I wasnt trying to say you were at all. Just more or less agreeing that If certain egregious issues can be fixed on other models, and the right person comes along with the desire and knowledge, it probably can be fixed. 

My apologies Bryan I wasn't referring to your post rather this one....

1 hour ago, Stormer said:

All you guys crying about wrong wing shape, frosted turret glass, plastic undercarriage, no rivet/wrong rivets, rubber tires, awful engines....

You’ll  be sorry for not having bought this kit once it’s gone OOP... just saying!

lets all remember when this was fun sticking parts together...I had a "had to be 100% correct" phase and I never want to return to that mindset.

We each achieve varied satisfaction in this hobby for different reasons, some build out of the box, some buy every possible aftermarket item to enhance the kit.

I don't fault those who say "it looks like a B-24 to me" nor do I discount the opinions of those who offer the proof that it in fact is incorrect and offer the reasons why.

We can spend a lifetime of hoping for the perfect model and then die with an empty display case.

Respectfully,

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

30 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

The upper wing profile can be built up with filler, how this impacts the engine nacelle fairings is another matter, but it can be done, should you want to take on the extra work.

I've no dog in this fight, but would not deforming the upper wing to induce a more Davis-like airfoil be a better approach than that?

Adding some extra chord to make up the foreshortening with card/filler would surely be easier.

It does make a body wonder how in the name of ***k they ignore a major feature like that on such an unlikely-to-be-repeated tooling.

My point earlier.  I think that we may see some rather innovative fixes for the wing/fuselage joint. I'm curious to see a vac wing, and how it would match the HB fuselage. it may wind up that a set of vac wings with the correct airfoil is the fix.

otherwise... resin, resin insert, or?

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I'm not crying about anything, my simple post was that there probably is a somewhat simple fix for some of the issues.

If Budzik can fix the pregnant torpedo blister on Trumpeters 350th USS Texas, the wing issue cam probably be fixed.

Here is the link for this type of thinking that I am suggesting.

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/New York/uss_new_york_bb34 -pg2.html

Ryan

Im very happy with the direction this thread is taking atm.

I was worried there for a bit, as we had a lot of negative waves being dropped here man...........before the model was really in anyones hands. Now that it is in some of our hands, we can do exactly what we are doing; having a civil, adult discussion about the kit, complete with suggestions on how to correct what is obviously wrong with the kit.

All of that being said, Im still definitely getting the kit, and will attempt corrections to what I feel I can do. Wings? Maybe, if something like what Mike has suggested is possible, but honestly the look of it doesnt bother me all that much.