Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

2 hours ago, Shawn M said:

in that video...the tail turret......is it all "frosted" in the wrong spots or am I missing something?

Shawn, it looks like the front turret (he calls it the rear one by mistake) is the one that's all frosted. The actual glass portions of it were never polished out on the production run apparently. The rear turret has completely clear sections where appropriate.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

6 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

Shawn, it looks like the front turret (he calls it the rear one by mistake) is the one that's all frosted. The actual glass portions of it were never polished out on the production run apparently. The rear turret has completely clear sections where appropriate.

No, I agree its the front that appears frosted, and agree its the rear that seems to have the clear sections on it. 

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

It looks like it might be the front that is frosted. It appears the rear may have clear/clear sections on it.

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

No, I agree its the front that appears frosted, and agree its the rear that seems to have the clear sections on it. 

Sorry Brian, not you getting the turrets mixed up, but the guy in the review video was who I was referring to. You're dialed in :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Just looking at this frosting thing from a manufacturing point of view.

Just let's say a turret on a particular aircraft was part clear perspex and part metal skin as a lot were.

If I was going to put that into a kit I could do a couple of things.

I could make the perspex part and the "metal" parts as separate items so the modeller would have to glue them all together to make the turret.

Or I could make the whole thing out of clear plastic and then show which parts were "metal" and should be painted by frosting them leaving the clear parts clear.

It could be that whatever references were used show these frosted parts as metal skin on the 1/1 aircraft.

Not saying what they have done is wrong or right but I don't think they would be manufactured as frosted with the expectation of the modeller polishing them up to get them right.

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Just looking at this frosting thing from a manufacturing point of view.

Just let's say a turret on a particular aircraft was part clear perspex and part metal skin as a lot were.

If I was going to put that into a kit I could do a couple of things.

I could make the perspex part and the "metal" parts as separate items so the modeller would have to glue them all together to make the turret.

Or I could make the whole thing out of clear plastic and then show which parts were "metal" and should be painted by frosting them leaving the clear parts clear.

It could be that whatever references were used show these frosted parts as metal skin on the 1/1 aircraft.

Not saying what they have done is wrong or right but I don't think they would be manufactured as frosted with the expectation of the modeller polishing them up to get them right.

I think your second option was their intention Phil, and they captured that on the tail turret. Problem is they forgot to polish the glass portions of the nose turret, so the whole darn thing is frosted :-/ 

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

1 minute ago, Dennis7423 said:

I think your second option was their intention Phil, and they captured that on the tail turret. Problem is they forgot to polish the glass portions of the nose turret, so the whole darn thing is frosted :-/ 

Yeah, not good Dennis.

Looking at other posts it could be that clear vac replacements could be in the pipeline so fingers crossed.

:)

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent!  As it appears that is a profile only, please do keep us updated on the status us those turrets.  Sounds like were going to need em

ho hum <_<

vac is not really a universal solution

i don't think I am alone in saying i will not touch vac anything

it's why I have shied away from the AIMS Ju88 and Me110 conversions

most vac canopies I have seen look, well, vac

praying for a good clear resin solution 

Modellers ‘polishing’ frosted plastic.  I’ll have to utube that... wow rocks and diamonds so far with this kit.

Release the AM Kraken, new turrets are now the non-optional accessory.

Just a bit more attention to detail and this kit could have gone down as a real classic. But like the outdated M’gram kit it’s just the only show in town...

(Its sheer size is impressive though, what a beast:)

Edited by Pup7309

1 hour ago, Gerhard said:

Is the frosted parts not supposed to be painted?

Just had a look at the video. It’s hard to tell but it may be they have frosted the clear parts and vice versa on one turret (the front one?)

So unless I want it to look steamed-up then I’m thinking of cutting out the plastic to make it look like it’s being replaced. This won’t look as good as a properly manufactured clear turret, but at least you will see the detail inside (including pins joining the 2 halves I guess!)