Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

11 hours ago, Sanderman said:

Well that certainly doesn't look even slightly like a Davis wing (or a B24).

For those of you who think "it looks enough like B24 to me"  here are few more pictures of B24s you might enjoy:

Joe

Well it looks B-24ish - you certainly wouldn’t mistake it for anything else. 

You clearly won’t be buying this latest Hobby Boss release, so if you want a 1/32nd B-24 I’d suggest purchasing either the Combat Models’ or Tigger vacs - you can then bend, sand and shape away at the more malleable plastic these kits provide until your heart is content. And you can show us a perfect example of the Davis wing when you’re done..! 

;)

15 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Well it looks B-24ish - you certainly wouldn’t mistake it for anything else. 

You clearly won’t be buying this latest Hobby Boss release, so if you want a 1/32nd B-24 I’d suggest purchasing either the Combat Models’ or Tigger vacs - you can then bend, sand and shape away at the more malleable plastic these kits provide until your heart is content. And you can show us a perfect example of the Davis wing when you’re done..! 

;)

Yeah, good luck with  that. By the time you are happy with the wing, you wont have energy for anything else and it will end up on the SOD. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Im now more thinking about what to do about the turrets and engines.

The engines should be the easiest fix, just go here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-Pratt-Whitney-R-1830-Engine-Vector-Resin-32-008/291610208289

Let them hit your card for approx $150 and then be prepared for 20-30 hours of fun building these up and adding the dozens of push rods to each engine.   

I built up a couple of these in 48th scale and have to say, the detail is exquisite.   Those push rods kicked my butt though..

Can't help you with turrets and honestly, given how few of these kits will probably be sold (I have to believe that any 32nd scale 4-engined bomber has to be at best a niche product), I'm not certain you will ever see an aftermarket company invest the money and time to produce clear resin turrets. 

I agree the Vector stuff is exquisite, I've used them several times, but that is exactly why I hope the OOB ones can be jazzed up satisfactorily, as there is no WAY I'm buying 4 Vector engines!!

I wish Eduard or the like would come out with an upgraded front engine face; with  the Libs  full cowls on, a well done engine face would fool most any eye looking in there if they couldn't see from the side at all.

As to the turrets I think I'm going to wait to get my copy to do a test assembly to see exactly which clear parts have the seem showing.

Then I'll see if I can fix it satisfactorily, or possibly tap Tigger to see about attaining some vac turrets.

12 hours ago, Sanderman said:

Well that certainly doesn't look even slightly like a Davis wing (or a B24).

For those of you who think "it looks enough like B24 to me"  here are few more pictures of B24s you might enjoy:

31-2a.jpg

consolidated-b32-dominator.jpg

Boghosian_14seagulls14_MET.jpg

;-)

Joe

Don't care. Not one little bit. 

Accuracy is a waste of time and eliminates the fun for me

Dave

perhaps the way forward is a resin part to correct the wing root attachment to the fuselage. I am just spiballin here, so let's see what might be a better "look" for the wing/ fuselage joint.  It could be that there is no real fix, but it could also be possible. We have some pretty talented modelers here. It WILL look like a B-24 when done.

The engines, no worries. The detail may be a little soft, but some plastic rod, wire, and careful paint will make a nice radial inside the cowl. Those that want to have open cowls will prolly opt for a resin engine, just to get all the juicy details. Each modeler will get what they want out of the kit. With Libs being used everywhere, there is no shortage of paint schemes, markings, and weathering styles.

And, the greenhouse nosed kit is still coming.

What I noticed, too, from the sprue shots of the production kit is that the rear turret contains clear glass bits on the molded parts, while the front turret appears to be entirely clouded clear plastic, without completely clear glass at all. The front turret will, at the very least, require a very thorough polishing, most likely from the inside.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

31 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

What I noticed, too, from the sprue shots of the production kit is that the rear turret contains clear glass bits on the molded parts, while the front turret appears to be entirely clouded clear plastic, without completely clear glass at all. The front turret will, at the very least, require a very thorough polishing, most likely from the inside.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I saw the frosted sections of the front turret in that video, but I could have sworn I saw som clear/clear sections on it as well.

59 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

25 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I saw the frosted sections of the front turret in that video, but I could have sworn I saw som clear/clear sections on it as well.

19 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I got to fondle the plastic Sunday, and I'm picking up my kit tomorrow. Yes, the front turret appears to be unfinished, it is frosted. I'm not sure what the issue was, why they did that. 

If you pause the vid at 12:00 you can get a decent look at the turrets. It looks like it might be the front that is frosted. It appears the rear may have clear/clear sections on it.

Hopefully one of the AM guys will come to the rescue.