Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

We are getting first looks at a plane that has long been "wanted' and is now being delivered. This model is not going to be to everyones taste, for myriad reasons. IT WILL suit other peoples taste. That said, lets get some pics up, and have a civil discussion about the kit.  The engines are simplified: OK, I'll wager that some careful paint and wire will dress it up nicely. As most of us are aware, almost everyone will look into the engine cowl, see the engine and go "OHHHH... you put the wires in", and leave it at that. nice touch. Others will want the full monty, with complete engines in all positions. Good on ya. Either way will suit someone. I'm more interested in identifying any weak points and having guys figure out the fix, and how to get the most mileage out of this kit. There are members here that have a lot of knowledge about this kit, so we should all come out ahead.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, Dave Williams said:

Not sure why MMD/Squadron decided to play this pricing game with this particular kit, but it assures that I won’t be buying one from them, or anyone else in the US, at this insane price when it’s half the price overseas.  Good job, Squadron!

Wingnut wings does the same thing and it seems to work for them. FWIW, 9 of the b 24s arrived at the local hobby shop on Friday and most of them were already gone at the strictly -enforced-by -MMD-price when I was there Saturday afternoon. 

Here is a quick pic of them just a they arrived at the local hobby shop and the employee there showing them off. 

b24_zpsrxojbjtg.jpg

6 hours ago, Radub said:

I am not sure, but to me it looks like the flaps are missing in the photo of the plastic parts. In other words, the "trailing edge" seems to be missing.

Juvatwad, can you compare the profile of the plastic parts to the NACA profile posted elsewhere in this thread?

Radu

Radu, yeah the flaps are missing from that picture. It doesn't look too bad IMO.

Edited by The Dude
spelling

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wingnut wings does the same thing and it seems to work for them. 

There’s a huge difference.  WNW pretty much enforces the same price anywhere in the world, and it’s the same on all of their kits.  This is one particular importer/distributor in one country on one kit.  Other HB kits are sold in the US at discounts.  Why the difference on this particular kit?

I’ll be very interested to see if Squadron has the kit in stock and then has some sort of 10-20-30% off Christmas sale, where you can get a discount if you buy from Squadron, while other companies are forced to sell the kit at the MSRP that Squadron themselves set.

13 hours ago, Gerhard said:

We dont  have another B-24 in this scale, period. I would proudly build this. It's not like your visitors would walk into your house and comment om the wing root for goodness sake. If they have any WW2 knowledge, they might say, oh, cool B-24. 

I’m very much of the same attitude. However, I may correct you on one thing if I may..?

This is actually the THIRD release of a 1/32nd B-24:

1) ID Models vacuform 

2) Combat Models vacuform

3) Hobby Boss

As I said earlier in this thread, if people don’t like the Hobby Boss release then they have two other options.

However, both the vacs will take at least a year (I know from experience) and will also require complete interiors, engines, undercarriages, props, etc etc to be scratchbuilt. The bonus is of course, you can angle the wing whatever angle you want as it’s vacformed, as there are no wing roots on the fuselage. Excellent news!

Or you could build the new Hobby Boss kit...

Tom

Good point Tom, and the level of quality achieved on your vac builds is tremendous for any kit, let alone a vac. The amount of work to get a vac B-24 up to par seems almost insurmountable to me, and Im sure speaking from experience, you can attest to how much work any other option is if you love the Mess and want one in 32nd. 

As Mike mentioned, if anyone who has the kit could maybe please post some more pics, specifically  w/the flaps taped on?    

Good point Tom, one that I deliberately omitted. I do not know if the ID models, and Combat models kits are the same, or even if the wing is more accurate that the new HB kit. It may be that the ultimate accurate B-24 kit is only available as a combination of the HB, and one of the vac kits. For the 1/32 B-24 purist that may be the only way forward. One lesson I learned long ago, on a Hase Ki-43: all the wiring and plumbing in the pit still only got me a "oh, nice' and the viewer was looking at some other detail. I knew the detail was there, and accurate, but still only good for a 3-4 second scan.

we are better served as a community by working forward to enhance what I suspect will be a very buildable kit.

16 hours ago, Gerhard said:

There is PE to upgrade the engines. I dont get the fuss, really. We dont  have another B-24 in this scale, period. I would proudly build this. It's not like your visitors would walk into your house and comment om the wing root for goodness sake. If they have any WW2 knowledge, they might say, oh, cool B-24. 

You guys are just being full of it, really. 

I think you're missing the much bigger picture here. It's not at all about what any visitors may see or know, it's more about what a modeler has a right to expect when he lays down two or three hundred dollars for a new kit, regardless of whether or not that kit existed before. For those that are content with a massive blob of plastic that sort of looks like a huge radial engine, great, I just don't happen to be one of those people.

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

WOW this kit is huge!! It looks like the ball turret is in three parts. I would sure like to get this kit but I would not know where to put it.

Mike

It's gigantic.  Something like a 41" and change wingspan!   

28" long....it's sort of "museum size" as most people probably don't have the kind of space needed to display this in a home.