Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

OK, we seem to have gone a little bit off the rails here. If we could just refrain from personal jibes, that'd be great. I was going to suggest that we stick to discussing the kit, but I really don't see what else there is to talk about until someone actually has one in their hands. So perhaps we should all just walk away from this one until that happens, as we're just going around in circles now.

Kev

On 12/15/2018 at 11:34 PM, LSP_K2 said:

To me the biggest letdown are the overly simplified engines. Not that I'm an exposed engine sort of guy, but it just looks like a cheapskate way to deal with them in this big scale.

There is PE to upgrade the engines. I dont get the fuss, really. We dont  have another B-24 in this scale, period. I would proudly build this. It's not like your visitors would walk into your house and comment om the wing root for goodness sake. If they have any WW2 knowledge, they might say, oh, cool B-24. 

You guys are just being full of it, really. 

Comparing the just posted pics of the kit with photos of a real B-24 and the drawings of Philip Moyes of the B-24 D/E models (in Aerodata International no. 11) it looks like the trailing edge of the wing sits too high on the fuselage. If you draw an imaginary  horizontal line from the trailing edge backwards on the fuselage, the line should run  quite a bit below the window just aft of the wing. Whether that means the wings' airfoil is "off" as has been said earlier in this tread is hard to say without having the kit at hand.

1 minute ago, Hans said:

Comparing the just posted pics of the kit with photos of a real B-24 and the drawings of Philip Moyes of the B-24 D/E models (in Aerodata International no. 11) it looks like the trailing edge of the wing sits too high on the fuselage. If you draw an imaginary  horizontal line from the trailing edge backwards on the fuselage, the line should run  quite a bit below the window just aft of the wing. Whether that means the wings' airfoil is "off" as has been said earlier in this tread is hard to say without having the kit at hand.

I am not sure, but to me it looks like the flaps are missing in the photo of the plastic parts. In other words, the "trailing edge" seems to be missing.

Juvatwad, can you compare the profile of the plastic parts to the NACA profile posted elsewhere in this thread?

Radu

Looks shallow but the jury is out until we see more. For the record I will be getting this as it will probably be the only show in town. If the kit has inaccuracies which are going to cost extra in AM then I will have an opinion.

I also support others critiques. It’s a free internet. As long as the debate doesn’t get too negative or boring, if it does,  I’ll join another conversation. The differences have certainly kept this thread going!