Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

4 hours ago, John1 said:

Shades of Monogram 1975.    I wasn’t expecting Tamiya quality here but those engines are truly unacceptable for any kit being released in 2019.  

Unlike the wing issue, at least these can be addressed, if you don’t mind dropping $80 or so for decent resin replacements and burning a bunch of hours installing them.  

I agree why should the kit buyer pay a 1/3 of the cost of the kit for AM engines? Same again for gun turrets! 

1 hour ago, mgunns said:

I guess the question really is:  will after market engines be worth the effort and cost to enhance an area that is really not that large where engine faces will more than suffice with some modifcaitons by the modeler?

In 32nd scale, you are going to see a great deal of the engines.   I can't imagine paying that much money for the kit and then settling for those crappy HB parts.  Heck, I wouldn't accept that in 48th scale. Just another example, along with the turrets, wing root, etc of a company that apparently really doesn't care about getting the details correct. 

1 hour ago, mgunns said:

I guess the question really is:  will after market engines be worth the effort and cost to enhance an area that is really not that large where engine faces will more than suffice with some modifcaitons by the modeler?

Nope. They could have just done something similar to Hasegawa B24. But no...

Edited by Pup7309

35 minutes ago, John1 said:

In 32nd scale, you are going to see a great deal of the engines.   I can't imagine paying that much money for the kit and then settling for those crappy HB parts.  Heck, I wouldn't accept that in 48th scale. Just another example, along with the turrets, wing root, etc of a company that apparently really doesn't care about getting the details correct. 

Yes it’s like we took a time machine back 60 years. (not the rest of the kit which dosent look too bad) 

5 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Yes it’s like we took a time machine back 60 years. (not the rest of the kit which dosent look too bad) 

So, sort of 1958/9 ?

Might be better in wood !

:lol:

One thing perhaps someone can enlighten me about and I've only seen this on modelling forums.

If someone has no intention of buying a kit then why do they come on to a forum and criticise it?

Just doesn't seem to make sense to me..........:)

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

So, sort of 1958/9 ?

One thing perhaps someone can enlighten me about and I've only seen this on modelling forums.

If someone has no intention of buying a kit then why do they come on to a forum and criticise it?

I think it's to let potential buyser know that there are "issues" with the kit.  If we would have had forums in the '50's, Aurora and Lindberg would have sold no kits and quickly would have gone out of business with Revell soon to follow.  Haply, in the '50's we were happy to buy the models, accuracy not even an issue, build them, play with them and enjoy them.  I also understand that for 79 cents accuracy wasn't an issue whereas at over $250.00 a kit, it is.

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

So, sort of 1958/9 ?

So, you want a forum where only people who plan on purchasing the model should weigh in on the subject?   Is that your point Phil?  :)  

Or a forum with just happy posts like - “it’s close enough for me!”  Or “Looks like a — to me!”   

Maybe some of those folks who are pointing out flaws still plan on buying the kit?

Maybe some of the folks who are purchasing this kit find critism useful so they know what the need to fix to get a model that meets their standards?   

Or or maybe we just let everyone post their opinion on the subject as often as they want and hold off on judging them?  :)   

59 minutes ago, John1 said:

So, you want a forum where only people who plan on purchasing the model should weigh in on the subject?   Is that your point Phil?  :)  

Or a forum with just happy posts like - “it’s close enough for me!”  Or “Looks like a — to me!”   

Maybe some of those folks who are pointing out flaws still plan on buying the kit?

Maybe some of the folks who are purchasing this kit find critism useful so they know what the need to fix to get a model that meets their standards?   

Or or maybe we just let everyone post their opinion on the subject as often as they want and hold off on judging them?  :)   

Don't be so ridiculous and you know that is not what I meant.

It was a genuine question as to why this only seems to happen on modelling forums and not other types of forums.

I guess people can be very sensitive about a box full of plastic and I'm not surprised I got a "bite" to my question as I thought it might be taken the wrong way by some.

But whilst on the subject seeing as you brought it up.

Criticism of a kit should be constructive and based on fact.

Fact is when the actual kit can be compared to accurate plans.

If it is then found to be wrong then by all means rip it up and toss it to one side.

No problem with that at all but the tiresome flaming of kits by a couple of manufacturers in particular before they are released is ridiculous.

It's not just me saying this.

Have a look back through this topic and see the number of times this has been mentioned.

Have a look at the number of likes/positive comments for posts saying to wait until the kit has been issued before throwing rocks.

I think most on here are getting fed up with all the negativity which keeps being trolled out.

:)

100% agreed. Pointing out  inaccuracies of a kit, is MOST welcome when done in a constructive, adult manor and comparing the actual kit plastic VS known accurate plans. 

"Knowing" a kit is off just by a couple of pictures compared to what we think it should be isnt the way.

It definitely appears something is amiss with the wing root, but knowing to what actual degree/extent comes when the kit is in modelers hands and we can compare the actual kit plastic. 

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Don't be so ridiculous and you know that is not what I meant.

It was a genuine question as to why this only seems to happen on modelling forums and not other types of forums.

I guess people can be very sensitive about a box full of plastic and I'm not surprised I got a "bite" to my question as I thought it might be taken the wrong way by some.

But whilst on the subject seeing as you brought it up.

Criticism of a kit should be constructive and based on fact.

Fact is when the actual kit can be compared to accurate plans.

If it is then found to be wrong then by all means rip it up and toss it to one side.

No problem with that at all but the tiresome flaming of kits by a couple of manufacturers in particular before they are released is ridiculous.

It's not just me saying this.

Have a look back through this topic and see the number of times this has been mentioned.

Have a look at the number of likes/positive comments for posts saying to wait until the kit has been issued before throwing rocks.

I think most on here are getting fed up with all the negativity which keeps being trolled out.

:)

+1 on this, more negative comments on this forum on plastic that's not been viewed or held by those making them than on any other forum (modelling or otherwise) that I read. I've not been on here for a month or so because I raised this issue (I think on this post) previously and got told not to read the comments. I'm happy to know where kits are not accurate but to be constantly told by a handful of people that something is rubbish when we haven't even had them in our hands starts to seem like it's being done deliberately to stop sales. I just don't understand why people do this unless there is a commercial benefit to do so ??

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Not to be rude, although I don't care if you take it that way, but quite frankly the opinion of people who have no intention of buying a certain item is meaningless to me.

I have been watching your posts and they are predominately a pile of negativity. We get it; you don't like the kit. And yet you spend so much time and energy on it that to some it may seem baffling. Not to me, though. I run in to this type of behavior quite a lot at the behavioral health facility I work at.