Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

43 minutes ago, pzcreations said:

I didnt say there wasnt an issue with it, but to make the statement that its the most distinctive part of the plane is just obviously being over dramatic ..noone hears 'B24" and instantly thinks of its wing roots.

I'd say that you shouldn't speak for every member on this forum.  I'm not sure who stated it's the "most" distinctive characteristic.  However, it's a distinctive characteristic of the B-24.  That's it.  Anything else, more or less is an individual's opinion. 

For me personally, it's one of a few other flaws that (again - for me personally) would preclude me from purchasing this kit.  Many others can live with it and I'm sure they will have a great time building their Liberators. 

Edited by John1

Guys, does anyone who has said that the wing root is "definitively" off actually HAVE the kit???

If not, then we really need to wait until someone does, then I'd say we could conclude if it's worth purchasing or not.

I just CANNOT see how people can so co conclusively down a kit that really just got released a few days ago, that no one really even has yet.

50 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Guys, does anyone who has said that the wing root is "definitively" off actually HAVE the kit???

If not, then we really need to wait until someone does, then I'd say we could conclude if it's worth purchasing or not.

I just CANNOT see how people can so co conclusively down a kit that really just got released a few days ago, that no one really even has yet.

Brian, speaking just for me, I feel that you don't need to hold the plastic in your hands to make observations of a kit and form opinions of it.  If that was the case, the number of people who would be authorized to pass judgement on ANY kit would shrink by a few orders of magnitude. 

There have been enough pictures released to indicate that the kit has some issues (not just with the aforementioned wingroot).   If HB modified the tooling to address those issues or if somehow, the pictures were distorted, then all is good.  Otherwise......

Well ‘a wing root in the hand is worth 2 elbows in the bush’ or something like that. (!?)

I’m looking forward to this one but the clear parts are a worry. If AM brings out replacements for turrets  and engines they won’t come cheap. And I haven’t tried vac form but the gentleman could be right saying it might not look right.

Anyway based on the above, my expectations are low for the accuracy of the wing root. But having low expectations can be a good thing. Overall we might be more impressed once this ‘bad boy’ arrives (as long as the imperfections don’t keep bugging you...if they do try to fixate on something else...maybe not elbows)

Edited by Pup7309

20 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

To me the biggest letdown are the overly simplified engines. Not that I'm an exposed engine sort of guy, but it just looks like a cheapskate way to deal with them in this big scale.

Shades of Monogram 1975.    I wasn’t expecting Tamiya quality here but those engines are truly unacceptable for any kit being released in 2019.  

Unlike the wing issue, at least these can be addressed, if you don’t mind dropping $80 or so for decent resin replacements and burning a bunch of hours installing them.  

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I do, and yes it is off as stated. and the split turrets will be alot harder to fix than even the Minicraft ones were. very thick with connect pin tunnels IN the clear area as well.

22 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

To me the biggest letdown are the overly simplified engines. Not that I'm an exposed engine sort of guy, but it just looks like a cheapskate way to deal with them in this big scale.

From what I can see (and I am no Liberator expert) it seems the working space inside that nacelle is pretty small and you aren't going to see much past the front of the engine anyway. Although I do agree they could have put more detail on that visible piece. I don't know if that PE  part really steps it up enough. They obviously are hoping the aftermarket rescues them.

As for my build and display needs, no one will be getting close enough to it to notice -- nor would they know any better. At least the engine isn't a flat piece you stick a decal of an engine on top of; that would be some crap for sure.

Just now, pzcreations said:

I do, and yes it is off as stated. and the split turrets will be alot harder to fix than even the Minicraft ones were. very thick with connect pin tunnels IN the clear area as well.

Can you show us a pic of the wing root of your kit VS the real thing?

I'm very interested to see where and how bad it's off with the kit in hand.

Thx

18 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

From what I can see (and I am no Liberator expert) it seems the working space inside that nacelle is pretty small and you aren't going to see much past the front of the engine anyway. Although I do agree they could have put more detail on that visible piece. I don't know if that PE  part really steps it up enough. They obviously are hoping the aftermarket rescues them.

As for my build and display needs, no one will be getting close enough to it to notice -- nor would they know any better. At least the engine isn't a flat piece you stick a decal of an engine on top of; that would be some crap for sure.

I agree; it's certainly not a deal breaker by any means, just seems like a poor approach for them to take.

I’m really looking forward to someone actually tackling this bird on the bench.  Front engine replacements, a turret or two replacement and i’d Really like to see the actual wing root area on a real wing to fuselage hook up to make up my own mind.  This is simply too big a model for my space restraints we’re I live in Singapore.  Someday however,  I’d love to hang one of these up in my model room with a couple bandits going after it.  

Im really looking forward to someone having this on their bench and giving it their all best efforts.   Hopefully, they will plug in some aftermarket that will be coming out along with this monster.  All the best gents.   I really excited to see this one and the Lanc.  Whats in the details inside The  box when it’s finally opened for all of us to see.  I’d also like to see one skinned in aluminum foil.   Too cool for school.  Carry on and don’t glue your finger together over this one.

Troy

I can certainly live with the engine faces, ala Monogram very well.  Yes, Hobby Boss could have provided more detailed engines along with a lot of other items that would have driven the price of the kit up considerably.  Obviously price point was a consideration when they decided to do this model.  The turrets, well, that's another story, that is a mystery considering the state of the art of injection molding in todays modern world of technology.  As the wing root, is it really going to be that noticeable once the model is completed?  I remember the hue and cry over the Monogram 1/48 PBY and the arm chair "modelers" that slammed it because the tail section was too thick.  I built one, brought it to a meeting of the local model club and the only comments were that it wasn't noticeable.  We seem to get wrapped around the axle over some detail that isn't quite perfect when in fact just put it out on the bench and build it.  I have a feeling the sheer size of the model will impress the most astute B-24 officianado more so than if the wing root is at the right angle of incidence, turrets notwithstanding.

10 hours ago, pzcreations said:

The US distributor (MMD) imposed a strict MAP pricing of the MSRP  on this kit. Noone is allowed to sell below it ..else they will not be able to buy from them anymore. 

Not sure why MMD/Squadron decided to play this pricing game with this particular kit, but it assures that I won’t be buying one from them, or anyone else in the US, at this insane price when it’s half the price overseas.  Good job, Squadron!