Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

44 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

whats the actual wing root rib look like on the kit?

It may make zero difference to me...............but I too would like to have a comparison between the HB B-24 wing root and the real deal.   It may make zero difference to me...............but it also might be a deal-breaker. I Just like to have all the evidence on hand to make my own assessment.  

2 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I personally don't care. I'm the only one who will know the wing is off, but no one who visits my home is likely to know and my secret will be safe.

Good point, and I feel exactly the same. I can't imagine one person that ever comes in here would know (or care) that it was off.

2 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I decided to be primarily OOB and build for the fun of it. I am building for me, not competition.

Most competent judges will never hold the faults of the kit against the builder/entrant.

It makes no difference to myself either but i respect the people that want and chase perfection. Call them what you will but even i can see that it is their pursuit of this perceived perfection that makes the companies up their game to make these detailers/rivet counters etc happy. I would build it as is because in my untrained eyes it's a B-24.To others it maybe a deal breaker. Life goes on.Live it while you can. You're a long time dead

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yep, a Marauder would be mighty cool. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we do see one someday.

As Radu would say, if I may be so bold, we have been over this. Resin2detail are doing a1/32 Marauder, resin to be sure, to be sure, but the CAD looks good so far.  In fact, too good, for my wallet.

12 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

As Radu would say, if I may be so bold, we have been over this. Resin2detail are doing a1/32 Marauder, resin to be sure, to be sure, but the CAD looks good so far.  In fact, too good, for my wallet.

Yes, and we'll probably end up going over it several more times still. I'd venture to say that most Marauder kit discussions here, refer to the hope for a new injection molded kit from a competent manufacturer, not some $1000 resin kit.

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yes, and we'll probably end up going over it several more times still. I'd venture to say that most Marauder kit discussions here, refer to the hope for a new injection molded kit from a competent manufacturer, not some $1000 resin kit.

I definitely agree. The Marauder is one of my favorites. I'd much prefer a decent injection molded kit at a reasonable price. Plus, I'd like a nice line of American bombers to display in my model collection. We have the 17, 24 and 25 in 1/32. It's time for the 26.

-Ro

On 11/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, 1to1scale said:

I, for one, could give two bits about the wing shape. I have one on order, and will happily build this kit, I will probably buy or fabricate a new set of turret glass, maybe some Eduard PE, and remotely possible, but some Eduard Brassin engines might be something I would want. I don't want to sink as much money into this as I have for the B-17 and all the AM I bought for it. 

I have been building more and more kits OOB lately, and not getting hung up on the wrong shape of airfoils, but having fun building, painting, and weathering them. The only reason I would not build it, would be that the Earlier version comes to market before I do.

I like this guy!!!  Came here to post my comments again, but 1to1scale read my mind and beat me to it. 

21 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

Yes spilt milk and all that. The turrets/engines/interior will be ok with AM care, the wing root however is no fixer-upper. Pity as it is one of the major characteristics of this aircraft.

Yeppers, and why I cancelled my backorder and ordered another Eduard/Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator. To me the wing is a deal breaker, and I have plenty of other kits to go on with.

The "plan" posted earlier in this topic is one you can find on google images.

One amongst many and if anybody would like to google "B24 wing aerofoil" and then look at the images, you will see plenty of versions, most of which make the one posted earlier look quite exaggerated.

As I said previously, people shouldn't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater just because of a plan posted on here taken from the web posted by "Kativ.eu" whoever they are?

:)