Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

Good to see that the variant chosen by HobbyBoss also sits close to, if not identical to, to some of the 100Gp British Electronic Warfare Liberators. Martin Streetly's book on 100 Group identifies B-24J-165-CO '6G@M' of 223 Sq; this seems very close to the sub-variant in the box? Perhaps the nose turret is not quite correct as it seems this was an A6B  variant?

My favourite choice of markings, namely 6G@K with beautiful nose art seems also possible as being a B-24J-5-DT it has a similar nose turret, but differing top turret to the boxed variant (as I understand this, although I'm still climbing the B-24 learning curve, so welcome comments or corrections here).

Not sure how tail turrets for both of these compare with the boxed example?

Of course choosing British markings means that the seam in the front turret isn't too much of a problem as these were covered in doped fabric and didn't mount armament. Perhaps not too hard to rework the kit turret shape if its not going to be transparent on the model? And hopefully those nice aftermarket chaps might just present us with some corrected turrets or choices for top and tail?

Really hopeful for replacement turrets and early/later turret designs from some aftermarket but not sure how certain it is we will see those; not a whole lot of companies doing clear bits these days.

Found this was a good page to help identifying different turrets etc for a given B-24:

http://www.usaaf-in-cbi.com/Liberator_ID/Lib_Recce_Doc.htm

Edited by petrov27

21 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Really hopeful for replacement turrets and early/later turret designs from some aftermarket but not sure how certain it is we will see those; not a whole lot of companies doing clear bits these days.

Shoot an email to Hypersonic.  Not sure if the owner hangs out here but he's often spotted on ARC.  I've got his 48th A-3 corrected canopy and it's absolutely amazing.  

• 2 weeks later...

'War Goddess" should have the older, rounded dome of the A3C, but both "My Akin ?" and "Going My Way" both mounted the A3D "High Hat".'

Can either be found in the HK Models B-17s?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

7 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'War Goddess" should have the older, rounded dome of the A3C, but both "My Akin ?" and "Going My Way" both mounted the A3D "High Hat".'

Can either be found in the HK Models B-17s?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

If my memory is correct, the 17's used either a Sperry (or license made) A-1A or an A-1B upper local  turret (depending on the serial number break).  Not sure what the 24 uses (I think it's either a Bendix or a Martin turret) but at the very minimum, the clear plexi is totally different between the two.

Edited by Juggernut
Added content