Luftwaffe Tyre Colours

AlanG

16 hours ago, Gerhard said:

You do get Tamiya NATO BLACK lacquer in a spray can as well. 

Tamiya_TS-63_Nato_Black_Paint_www.gpmode

Thanks, don't think I was aware of that.

And now Tamiya has the TS spray cans also available in decanted jar form.

I haven't seen those around yet though.  I think they're still hard to come by.

Being a little mischievous here...

Very late war Luftwaffe aircraft apparently used synthetic rubber tyres by necessity as supplies of real rubber became critical. Apparently these tyres were greenish in colour? :o

I have no further information so perhaps others who know more might chip in?

And you thought finding the right shade of tyre black was a problem? :wicked:

Some of the colour pics i see on the net do appear to have a green tinge to the tyres but that is mostly on Ju88 aircraft.

I'm building Fw190 A8 Red 11 from JGr.10 Schlangenschwarm

5 hours ago, Padraic Conway said:

Being a little mischievous here...

Very late war Luftwaffe aircraft apparently used synthetic rubber tyres by necessity as supplies of real rubber became critical. Apparently these tyres were greenish in colour? :o

I have no further information so perhaps others who know more might chip in?

And you thought finding the right shade of tyre black was a problem? :wicked:

Here are some sheets of the stuff coming off a rolling mill at BF Goodrich in 1940.  You can see the white-ish color.  Color was added later via a dyeing process, so I would think you have some creative freedom to color it as you see fit.  Then again, maybe the Germans used a slightly different process with a specific color, or simply defaulted to a certain dye based on availability?

I don't know.  I'm sticking with "tire back."  :lol:

Sheet_of_synthetic_rubber_coming_off_the

Edited by ringleheim

Natural rubber is whitish, synthetic is a clear-ish yellow.,  it is not "dyed" to make tires etc black.  Carbon Black is added as a re-enforcing compound in tires, belts, hoses etc and is what makes these black. The more that is added the harder the rubber is (at least that the simple explanation but polymers and other additives play a roll also), It also is a key ingredient for wear resistance.  It also helps dissipate heat to aid in the life of the component from heat which is what vulcanizes (cures) rubber and continues to cure it over time until it gets hard and brittle as does ozone and sunlight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

The 'black on this kit was done with 6-parts Matte Black, 2-parts Matte Blue, 2-parts Red Brown, and 2-parts white.  All Tamiya colors:

46370506_547481542385258_458352228148497

Gaz

Tamiya makes a natural track color, fairly closely matching the manganese used for casting them.

46 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Natural rubber is whitish, synthetic is a clear-ish yellow.,  it is not "dyed" to make tires etc black.  Carbon Black is added as a re-enforcing compound in tires, belts, hoses etc and is what makes these black. The more that is added the harder the rubber is (at least that the simple explanation but polymers and other additives play a roll also), It also is a key ingredient for wear resistance.  It also helps dissipate heat to aid in the life of the component from heat which is what vulcanizes (cures) rubber and continues to cure it over time until it gets hard and brittle as does ozone and sunlight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

I can recall numerous times changing a tire on a car and ending up with black carbon junk all over my hands.