CAC Boomerang A46-217 “Hep Cat” Finished.

ericg

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments.

The kit is missing the floor of the cockpit, which is just the top surface of the wing. This was easy enough to whip up with some plastic card and a riveter tool. 

IMG_4836-X3.jpg

The engine mounts are quite troublesome and weak and didn’t really line up the engine too well in the cowl. I cut them off just short of where the engine sits and have fixed the engine in place once it was lined up, by drilling holes into the tops of the cylinders through the cowling and fixing it in place with 4 brass rods superglued into position. I will trim these down flush with the surface.

IMG_4825-X3.jpg

Some more work.

I wasn't happy with how thin the the fin was. It was quite pinched towards the top and didn't look right. It was also slightly warped so needed to be fixed.

IMG_4884-X3.jpg

Out with the razor saw and I made a cut right down the middle of the fin.

IMG_4885-X3.jpg

I then inserted some plastic card to shim it out to the required thickness. The rudder fits much better, it is straighter and now thicker!

IMG_4902-X3.jpg

I cut out the rear part of the vac formed canopy and attached the inner fairings with superglue, once they were painted Mr Paint tyre Rubber.

IMG_4904-X3.jpg

Dry fit. Starting to come together.

IMG_4903-X3.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

I used brass rod, copper wire and lead wire to depict the brake lines and other plumbing in the wheel bays. The fittings were made by stretching lengths of the piping of cotton buds as per the stretched sprue method. 

IMG_4997-X3.jpg

I clamped the model to my workbench and then set the outer wing panels at the required 7 degree dihedral. These parts for very well together.

IMG_4998-X3.jpg

Next up was the wheels. I wanted the block tread tires on my model so got some excellent Barracuda Mustang wheels. This was going to take a little modification as the hubs are fairly different, as can be seen here. 

IMG_5002-X3.jpg

The outer lip of the kit hub was removed

IMG_5003-X3.jpg

I then milled the back of the kit hub and also the inside of the replacement wheel

IMG_5009-X3.jpg

A very tight fit.

IMG_5010-X3.jpg

I then milled a flat spot onto the tire to simulate the weight of the aircraft, conveniently this also removes the remainder of the casting block.

IMG_5012-X3.jpg

I then used my mask cutter to cut some precise disks from very thin plastic card and milled the inside of the wheel.

IMG_5013-X3.jpg

Once the wheel was converted, I drilled out the hub to accept some brass tube to allow a precision fit onto the kit undercarriage legs.

IMG_5015-X3.jpg

The completed wheels. I wicked Mr Surfacer into the areas that I converted and then used Mr thinner to rub off the excess to fill any gaps and tidy things up a bit.

IMG_5017-X3.jpg