CAC Boomerang A46-217 “Hep Cat” Finished.

ericg

Спасибо!

I painted the inside frame of the windscreen and glued it into the fuselage. I am very happy with how this has turned out.

IMG_5783-X3.jpg

Now it was onto the small details. Some of this stuff probably isn't needed, but all of them combined will make the model a little bit more realistic.

There is a small panel line on the kit that represents the belly tank lift point.

IMG_5765-X3.jpg

I hollowed it out with micro chisels and added a small piece of plastic card to represent the attachment point.

IMG_5781-X3.jpg

The rudder trim tab has a small actuator fairing just forward of its leading edge, but no actuator.

IMG_5776-X3.jpg

I slightly reshaped the tab and added the actuator rod, and brackets.

IMG_5777-X3.jpg

The kit has a rectangular hole for a vent and its door is represented with a resin part. (notice in this pic I have drilled out the small formation light, ready to accept a clear blue part)

IMG_5766-X3.jpg

I felt that the door was going to be a little slim, so I carved a rebate on the top and bottom edge that a larger door would fit into, according to my references.

IMG_5771-X3.jpg

A new door was made from plastic card, with the actuator rod from brass. Lots of period photos show this door opened quite a way.

IMG_5769-X3.jpg

IMG_5770-X3.jpg

I drilled out the small panel that represents the fuselage refueling point cover. My references show that this cover was left off in most photos of the aircraft serving in the combat zone and I wanted to represent it that way.

IMG_5772-X3.jpg

I made up a fuel tank cap from plastic rod. Notice that I have also scribed a new panel line from the corner of the rear canopy to just in front of the horizontal stabilizer. Something visible in all of my pics of the aircraft but was missed in the kit.

IMG_5774-X3.jpg

From a different angle. Could possibly go in a bit further, but at least that detail is now there. I made the cap removable at this stage so that I could paint it and install it after I have done the major painting stage. You can also notice in this pic that I have scribed a panel line behind the rear window and also above it, as this area was openable to gain access to the radio compartment on the real thing. As the vac formed clear part is very thin, I scribed the line into the the resin, just behind the join to prevent any #%^ ups.

IMG_5775-X3.jpg 

Edited by ericg

• 2 weeks later...

Now that all the hard work has been done I primed the model and went over it with a fine toothed comb, fixing a few small flaws here and there and ensuring that the painting stage would be as hassle free as possible. 

IMG_6063-X3.jpg

I painted some areas with Alclad Duralumin and then used some masking fluid to simulate chipping over the airframe.

IMG_6064-X3.jpg

I sprayed a heavy pre shade over the model with some patchy areas around places that would see a lot of wear and tear.

IMG_6066-X3.jpg

This was followed by a thin coat of SMS Foliage Green, allowing most of the pre shade to still be seen.

IMG_6067-X3.jpg

I then highlighted and mottled over the model using a lightened and thinned mixture of the base colour.

IMG_6069-X3.jpg

A highly thinned mix of the original Foliage Green was then sprayed over the model to blend everything together.

IMG_6072-X3.jpg

Some of the masking fluid removed to check how the effect looks.

IMG_6076-X3.jpg

I used Tamiya white flexible tape to mask off the demarcation of the white tail.

IMG_6077-X3.jpg

I then used the Tamiya masking tape that has plastic sheeting attached to it to protect the rest of the model and sprayed the white.

IMG_6080-X3.jpg

The Boomerang is starting to look the part. 

IMG_6082-X3.jpg

Thanks a lot guys.

A small update. The kit tailwheel yoke was made from thin resin, and it wouldn’t have stood a chance past a light knock plus I lost it anyway! I ended up fabricating a new one from 4 pieces of brass, drilled and pinned together and then soldered to give a very strong assembly that will give me much greater confidence hauling it around the country.

IMG_6060-X3.jpg