CAC Boomerang A46-217 “Hep Cat” Finished.

ericg

Cheers guys.

Moving on to some of the smaller details. I added these before I painted the model but forgot to post an update. 

A small drain and vent were added to the area between the wheel bays.

IMG_6211-X3.jpg

I opened up the panel that covers the ground power receptacle (bottom left of the Q) most of the pics that I have of these aircraft in theatre show it as being left off. 

IMG_6213-X3.jpg

I drilled a small hole in the spinner, I guess this is to allow access to a grease nipple on the prop hub.

IMG_6206-X3.jpg

I had dry fitted the exhaust and found that it looked as if something was missing compared to photos. There is a small duct that comes off the rear of the exhaust and enters the fuselage. This was missed in the kit and I felt that it would look good to include it.

The exhaust as I had it, ready to install.

IMG_6202-X3.jpg

I made a duct from some plastic rod, heated and bent to shape. Also visible here is a small oval panel below and to the left of the exhaust which was missed in the kit that I scribed when I was working in that area. (There is a stencil data decal provided for it though)

IMG_6203-X3.jpg

The modified and now complete exhaust ready to install.

IMG_6217-X3.jpg

There will be lots of exhaust staining in this area as well as some burnt off paint on the panel around the exhaust, so it is only dry fitted at this stage. Glad I did this little mod.

IMG_6219-X3.jpg

Thank you gents.

Another small detail. I should have added this before I painted the model but I didn’t. I made the bracket that is attached to the top of the fin that the radio aerial wire  is secured to from scrap photo etch brass.

IMG_6256-X3.jpg

I finished scratch building the undercarriage legs, adding many small parts to add detail to them such as the brake lines from copper wire.

IMG_6246-X3.jpg

painted with SMS Aluminium. I will paint the oleos and other details later.

IMG_6252-X3.jpg

6 hours ago, DerekB said:

Looking fabulous Eric!

Curious reversed CAC lettering on the right hand side speedbird. But then I checked, and that's how it comes in the kit!

Derek, nice spotting there and thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. I really appreciate it. It is of course wrong and I have removed the decal. Red Roo produce a small sheet of CAC logos which are correct that I coincidentally had ordered a couple of days ago as I messed up the port side logo, so as soon as they get here I will be applying them.

I have continued the weathering process, applying a highly thinned dark brown mixed with flat clear to represent the significant exhaust staining down the side of the fuselage. I may apply some more and there is still a dark wash to pick out the detail but so far it is looking OK.

IMG_6277-X3.jpg

I fabricated a new pitot tube as the kit supplied resin one will last a few minutes before breaking. I made it from 3 pieces of brass rod, pinned together

IMG_6259-X3.jpg

The parts were then soldered together 

IMG_6260-X3.jpg

And were then cut and filed to shape.

IMG_6270-X3.jpg

There is no competition here for strength that’s for sure.

IMG_6272-X3.jpg

I have made it removable to make it easier to chuck this model in a box when it comes time to transport it.

IMG_6269-X3.jpg

Terrific looking Boomerang.

I have some questions for you:

1) What masking fluid did you use for the chipping, and how did you apply it.  I have tried Vallejo's masking fluid, but I have not been able to get small, random looking spots.

2) How did you trace the codes and nose art in the Silhouette software?  Did you just use a mouse, or did you use a stylus and pad such as a Wacom pad?

Your builds are some of the ones on this forum I know I will always learn something from.  You are one of the many modelers who make this forum a terrific resource.

Bill

On 2/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, wmoran said:

Terrific looking Boomerang.

I have some questions for you:

1) What masking fluid did you use for the chipping, and how did you apply it.  I have tried Vallejo's masking fluid, but I have not been able to get small, random looking spots.

2) How did you trace the codes and nose art in the Silhouette software?  Did you just use a mouse, or did you use a stylus and pad such as a Wacom pad?

Your builds are some of the ones on this forum I know I will always learn something from.  You are one of the many modelers who make this forum a terrific resource.

Bill

Glad you like it Bill.

I have used the Gunze masking fluid, applied with a toothpick.

I trace the codes and artwork using a mouse. I define points and then manipulate the lines rather than drawing around each shape.

I am onto the finishing touches now. An important part of each build is the stance of the model. I epoxied the undercarriage legs legs into place to make sure that everything still lined up. I also attached the cowl flaps.

IMG_6285-X3.jpg

IMG_6286-X3.jpg

Almost done. Still lots of small details and tidying up to do.

IMG_6287-X3.jpg