DeAgostini Millennium Falcon 1/1 scale, updated 11/8

cbk57

It may not be an LSP but it is big and you read the heading right it is 1/1 scale.  This is a subscription model sold by DeAgostini.  If you buy it the model comes in 100 projects that can come over a period of 1 or 2 years.  I am building this for someone else.  The exterior is a replica of the Falcon Studio model used in Empire Strikes Back.  As such it is the same size as the studio model.  Since the subject is Sci Fi this is technically a 1/1 scale model.  To give you an idea how big this is the first photo shows the the instructions and the black tote beneath is all the parts.  The tote is filled all the way to the top.

DSCN1702

I am going to repaint the panels using black basing which many of you are failure with, as it is so big, I am going to repaint the panels as I go.  The first photo is a before.

DSCN1703

And after some black basing work:

DSCN1704

That is all for tonight.

Edited by cbk57

3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

:wow:     Phil....   that's heckuva  build..will surely follow.

:punk:

I just posted the link to the vendor's site which shows the dimensions which was being asked about.

I'm not building it as I haven't got a spare £960 lying around.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Although technically isnt the DeAgostini Falcon universally accepted as approx: 1/43rd or so? 

I know they built half of one for the film before the most recent one as pics are online for that but not sure if anybody stuck a tape measure on it.

Although I'm sure someone has worked it out somehow.

:)

I don’t know how big the final version is, they call it the 3 foot model.  The original model used in A New Hope in 1977 is called the 5 foot model and is even bigger.  That one was a bit too big for the special effects they wanted to use so for Empire Strikes Back they created this one.  I hope you all enjoy, I might put in a few smart upgrades also as I go.  The Cockpit is pretty bad, the main console is a sticker.  There are options to rebuild the whole thing, that is not in in the build budget though.  I think i might replace the console though.  It is such a focal point that it would look a lot better.

I will be using Mission Models paint, I used a mix of Insignia white and white to do the Perfect Grade kit so am going the same route but with a deeper more technical finish.  As massive as this thing is, I can’t fit the built model in any spray booth I own, so painting it built is not a great option.  I will have to do clear coats and such built but I want the bulk of effects built into the finish so I can add a little bit of panel line accents and streaking etc but not have to do much paint weathering when it all comes together.  

The down side of my plan is the paint time is going to be enormous.  But it is a lot of painting no matter what I do.  

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

This should be fun to watch.

Are you planning to add any of the Paragrafix or Shapeways bits to it?

Carl

I just ordered a few shapeways bits.  I am only adding some essential improvements as the owner has already paid a bunch for the model.  The interior is kind of garbage, so a few little upgrades there some of the interior I am just going to busy up with more wire etc.  Maybe a few fixes on the outside, however planning on building this as a wall mount model so gear up and bay doors up.

This is the Deagostini wall mount. I wasnt sure at first but once it was up , and my half finished falcon on it , i was sold!  It has quite a good range of movement on it. It looks great in the stairwell though. The nosecone is a shapeways 3d printed one. It was one of the cheapish but looks great. 

6aZXJk7.jpg

ZDmVVVY.jpg