DeAgostini Millennium Falcon 1/1 scale, updated 11/8

cbk57

4 hours ago, gunpowder said:

This is the Deagostini wall mount. I wasnt sure at first but once it was up , and my half finished falcon on it , i was sold!  It has quite a good range of movement on it. It looks great in the stairwell though. The nosecone is a shapeways 3d printed one. It was one of the cheapish but looks great. 

6aZXJk7.jpg

ZDmVVVY.jpg

Do you recall at what step you had to commit to the wall mount?  This one is going to be built for walkout also.

18 hours ago, gunpowder said:

There are 4 holes in the bottom. They go into the frame inside. Unless you physically fill them in they are just there!

Thanks, I have been through some of the instructions but not all of them.  My plan is to build somewhat in sequence.

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Thanks, I have been through some of the instructions but not all of them.  My plan is to build somewhat in sequence.

I just read someone else had a problem. It appears they may have put the 4 big screws in from the inside. Dont do that. The 4 screws go in from the outside in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Starting this weekend I am reviving this thread, I have been photographing all the way and she is almost done.  So this will become a fast foreword build thread.  I hope you enjoy and am bumping this up so I can quickly find the thread and hopefully tonight I will start getting photos up.  

32808ECE-B136-4CAD-B95C-EAA7576A6B89

As i recall these pieces have been painted.  They are a mix of 50% mission models white and 50% insignia white.  I did all the main color in Mission Model paint.

The next phot shows the frame of the upper or lower hull.  You screw together this big metal dish and then screw the individual hull panels to it.  It comes with a plastic dish that helps you support the hull halves while you work on them.  Very useful.

9BD591E7-1902-48A9-98D4-40559AC350BC

Next are some shots of the internals.  The inside cabin areas are very toy like with minimal detail.  Either it all needs replaced with 3d parts or you need to detail it yourself.  I used a few 3d enhancements, some of my own stuff and some scanvenged PE.

E2D69965-4D63-4F27-92AA-F17C14EB0C26 72442FD1-F650-4444-95D0-ABAA1D98798F 97F0E4C0-A74D-4671-8B0A-4CA699C0A6F9 C8903B4C-9575-4B98-B2D1-65D462CEABE0 BE4D840E-ADBF-414E-B54C-00275DF43481

50 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

What an amazing project! You title says the kit is 1/1 scale, but that's obviously not correct - what is the actual scale?

Kev

It actually is 1/1 scale.  It is kitted to the same size as the 32" studio model made for Empire Strikes Back.  So technically it is considered 1/1 scale as it is supposed to replicate a studio prop.  I think it actually more detailed than the prop though, for some reason when looking at good photos of the ESB prop the real prop's details look softer.  

Relative to a person it is somewhere in the field of 1/43 scale according to what I have read.  However I just purchased two figures for it and those are scaled to 1/48 to fit the cockpit and the seats.  

Edited by cbk57

Here is the finished main interior.  I am mostly happy with the look,  It should be a lot "busier" though, but it won't be seen all the time as although the upper mandible can be removed to see it, it will mostly be displayed buttoned up.  The best way to do it is to replace all of it with 3d print from shape ways but that probably would cost at least several hundred or more on top of the price of an expensive kit.  I pulled some plastruct out and added some stuff, used some archer rivets a few bolt heads and ordered a few 3d printed bits to go on it.  

Of all things though I really liked the finish of the seats and the padding lining the hatches.  It looks very vinyl and I don't think I cold do better with any paint finish I know of.  I did not even touch their weathering on the seats.  

IMG_0783 IMG_0782 IMG_0781 IMG_0780 IMG_0779 IMG_0778

48 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

It actually is 1/1 scale.  It is kitted to the same size as the 32" studio model made for Empire Strikes Back.  So technically it is considered 1/1 scale as it is supposed to replicate a studio prop.  I think it actually more detailed than the prop though, for some reason when looking at good photos of the ESB prop the real prop's details look softer.  

Relative to a person it is somewhere in the field of 1/43 scale according to what I have read.  However I just purchased two figures for it and those are scaled to 1/48 to fit the cockpit and the seats.  

So it’s not really a model of the Millennium Falcon, but rather, a model of its studio prop. Still a bit confusing, though!

Kev

11 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

So it’s not really a model of the Millennium Falcon, but rather, a model of its studio prop. Still a bit confusing, though!

Kev

Oh it is confusing.  I was doing some more digging because actually I am almost done with it and am trying to figure out the weathering.  The internals would not fit in the real thing if it were real.  The engines did not exist on film until The last Jedi and other than blue light did not show in earlier movies.  The movie sets and the prop are substantialy different.  The original model from A New Hope is a lot more detailed and was 5 feet across.  

Life is a lot easier when dealing with modeling reality.  It is harder in it's own way.  You have more freedom in some ways with Science Fiction but you have new complexities also.  That is the problem when you are not dealing with reality but a movie and whether you are replicating a prop, or a set or some other thing.  I am only scratching the surface of this insanity.  My son is far more fanatical about Star Wars than I understands the various concepts of what is cannon and what is not as far as official stories and so on.  

Finally keep in mind there is no "official Mellinium Falcon" it is a composite of what we think it was and the various states it existed in movies from Prop, to Set to CGI.