Hi folk,

Here are a couple of pics from Saturday at SMW 2018 at Telford, UK.

Please forgive the poor quality. I used my pocket camera but it does n't cope with the lighting conditions in the halls particularly well, sorry.

Alot of the subjects that I spotted have been covered in other threads so if there are duplicates then I apologise. I shan't include the Lancasters or Hellcat as they've been covered nicely in other threads.

There were plenty of larger scale aircraft on the competition tables. I saw that Kent had posted his experiences from the day (great read btw Kent) and was perplexed over why he did n't get much recognition.

I can't answer that as his dioramas and models looked superb in the flesh.

DSCN4970.jpg

DSCN4967.jpg

DSCN4968.jpg

DSCN4996.jpg

I imagine Kent was not the only modeller wondering what they had to do.

Here are a few more from the competition tables.....

DSCN4972.jpg

DSCN4974.jpg

DSCN4975.jpg

It looks like I've slipped up with the settings when I uploaded these so I hope you can make out what's in them. If there do happen to be any that you'd like a closer look at please let me know and I'll try to improve them.

DSCN4976.jpg

DSCN4977.jpg

More to follow.

Edited by geedubelyer

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nothing wrong with those photos, Guy! Thanks for posting them.

Kev

Thanks Kev. The originals are larger though not much better quality wise. If anyone sees a pic they'd like a closer look at then please let me know and I'll do my best to replace it

10 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Great photos, I ddn't have time to take too many pics so I appreciate your posting them, so thank you.

Cheers

Dennis

You're welcome Dennis. The camera battery died half way through the day so unfortunately I missed quite a few large scale models. Memo to me: make sure the camera is fully charged next time :)

10 hours ago, gunnyax said:

Thanks, love the Wessex

10 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Have to agree, those wessex builds were superb Top Notch! .

Gunnyax and Phartycr0c, I could n't agree more. I'd love to build the Fly model one day. The Wessex is one of only a couple of helicopters that I like.

Talking of Wessex, here's one from the club tables.

DSCN4925.jpg

DSCN4928.jpg

The builder has a web page of the build here 

Truly a thing of beauty.

He also showed a couple of other LSP's

DSCN4923.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

A man of great talent.

Talking about men of great talent leads me on to a couple of models by a guy called Kai. 

I had the pleasure of chatting with him on Saturday and having a close look at a couple of his builds.

DSCN4942.jpg

DSCN4941.jpg

DSCN4939.jpg

I make no excuse for posting multiple images of his models as they were sublime. The Corsair is the Tamiya kit and Kai explained that he needed to do very little to it. I could tell that he enjoyed the build alot.

The Starfighter is the Italeri kit but this one apparently took much more work. 

DSCN4944.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

All of the plumbing on the engine has been added.

The photos don't show how beautiful these two models are in the flesh. The weathering is restrained and extremely realistically rendered. Kai explained that he had borrowed a technique that he'd seen Chris Warchop apply. He painted each layer onto the wing roots of the Corsair then painstakingly rubbed it away revealing each subsequent layer, just as on the full sized article. That is why it looks perfectly authentic.

The Starfighter has one tip tank more faded than the other, again a touch of realism that lifts the model to the next level. I did suggest that Kai share his models here so hopefully he gets the time at some point. 

I have one or two more to add but have to leave for work right now so I'll post them up later.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Again, I agree wholeheartedly. I saw both the Starfighter and the Corsair,builds. The Corsair in particular took my eye with the film crew providing something different to the usual ground crew dioramas i would like to find out where some of these figures are sourced from. Very clever work.   

I missed the other Wessex build It looks absolutely sublime. . B*@@*$r.

12 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Again, I agree wholeheartedly. I saw both the Starfighter and the Corsair,builds. The Corsair in particular took my eye with the film crew providing something different to the usual ground crew dioramas i would like to find out where some of these figures are sourced from. Very clever work.   

I missed the other Wessex build It looks absolutely sublime. . B*@@*$r.

All of those models looked magnificent in close up and my meagre photography efforts don't do them justice.

My camera battery died half way through wandering around so here are the last of my snaps in no particular order.

DSCN4930.jpg

DSCN4933.jpg

DSCN4934.jpg

DSCN4935.jpg

DSCN4936.jpg

Whilst not large scale, these next two were very eye catching nonetheless.

DSCN5001.jpg

DSCN4979.jpg

I'm not sure if this Lancia car model was the overall winner but it sat in the same place as Peter's Spitfire did last year.

DSCN4962.jpg

DSCN4963.jpg

DSCN4966.jpg

Last batch to follow.

Edited by geedubelyer

Oh my, all these displays look terrific, great pictures, thanks very much for posting.

I wish someday i'll be able to attend too, so hopefully next year.

Jack.

I saw that Silver Wings stand, with the Wessex and Belgian F-104G: absolutely amazing, even more so when you realise that the 104 was based on the older Hasegawa kit.