A great little vid and pics.

williamj

9 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks indeed for that Bill! I guess our money jars are going to have to get a little bigger to save up for this one eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Yes sir,going to have start saving up.      Just blown away by the small details and moldings. The more you look the more you see.

Build time will be maxed.

What's the deal with the canopy on these built-up display models.  Both the full plane and the nose-only model.

They have the framework for the glass molded in regular styrene (not clear), but no clear glass added to the framework.

This a common thing in studio scale modeling, particularly for sci-fi themes.  The glass reflects light and creates problems for filming, so it's just left off on filming models.  

I have built a couple 1/72 Bandai X-Wing Fighters like this, and I personally like the way they look.  The viewer must buy into the builder's creative license, but I think it's an interesting approach to displaying a model.

Is this going to be the approach of the WNW Lancaster kits?  Or is there some type of thin, vac-formed clear plastic to be added to the framework that is left off for these promo builds, or what?

I have thought about this for years; I wish more manufacturers would adopt this approach as it shows off more cockpit interior and doesn't look "wrong" to my eye; it looks different, but not "wrong."  I'm sure others would disagree. 

Of course, it won't work on all aircraft; an F-16 is a perfect example where the curve/dimensions of the canopy are formed exclusively by glass, so if there is no glass, there is really no canopy, and that would look odd.

But for WWII stuff or anything that is framed in, the no glass approach should be possible.

Here's one of the X-wings without the clear canopy part being used; just a styrene framework for the canopy with "holes" where the glass should be.  I like this look!  

61nscWWxp-L._SX466_.jpg