HKM 1/32 Lancaster at Telford - Built and Painted!

CANicoll

Here are some pictures of the commotion and interest generated by Dave (phartycroc's) Lancaster. You should have seen it up-close.  TERRIFIC work by Dave on this extremely quick build (five weeks?!?!).  The LSP/SIG32 table was right next to WNW so lots of questions as to which Lancaster Dave built (WNW or HKM).

I should have taken a few more pictures of the Lanc, but it was rare when there were not many folks around it.

8G4VDE.jpg

krSuV7.jpg

It was rumored, but not confirmed, that Dave got to sit down TWICE on Saturday.  HUGE interest in his amazing build.

he8R15.jpg

Maru:  Recognize anything?

9vJLW3.jpg

Dave was even showing off some of the smaller bit and I think he was personally responsible for about half of the sales of AirScale's own PE instrument panel for the Lanc (and yes, Airscale sold out of their PE IP stock, a month before the kit goes on sale!  I think HKM has a hit on their hands.

c9Y4mR.jpg

This is usually what Dave was faced with on Saturday:

4I5XhR.jpg

Ok, have to get ready for work tomorrow.  Will keep posting during the week so stay tuned.

Yes, I've already reserved my hotel room for next year's Telford!

Chris

41 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Very nicely done!  

Does the Lanc really have a yellow handrail inside the nose?

LOL.. I was thinking the same thing.  Seems a bit out of place. 

That being said, these boys know their stuff, so I'd have to say - yes, the Lanc does really does have a yellow handrail in the nose. 

Yes the handrail down into the bomb aimer's position, which is a matt black area, is yellow. There has always been some controversy about it but unrestored Lancs or nose sections such as "Fred the Fox" in the IWM shows the handrail as yellow. Nuff sed. 

6f4RF0.jpg

Edited by mozart

8 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Dave was also kind enough to mention our bomb trollies and trolley accumulator kits, which we sold out of on the weekend, this model confirmed to me the value of the HKM clear parts, it didn't detract from the overall model and look of the Lanc.

Graham 

Yep and I got both (and the last cookie trolley) on Saturday. Will be working on these pair in readiness for the HKM Lanc arrival.

Thanks Chris for this great thread. and thanks all for the positive comments. It really has been difficult 

In order to provide a little insight as to how this came to fruition, having managed to obtain a final production test shot from Neil at HKM, I had exactly 5 weeks to turn this 

31988225738_e0af6d5053_b.jpg

into this 

45134685254_7c5bc6452c_b.jpg

Thanks to my VERY understanding wife,  6 annual leave days, weekends and evenings allowed me to,

1. complete the build which concluded at 11.20 on the day of set up, and

2 most importantly, produce a memorial to my close friend's dad who was a Merlin tech on 97 (Straits Settlement) squadron.

I also had son and daughter producing Merlins, bombs and figure painting. Build time also included base and vehicles. 

I did not have time to complete a build thread for this however, James Hatch has a work in progress over on Large Scale Modeller with a link from here in one of the other lancaster threads. 

The test shot was plastic only and did not include any of the PE parts or decals. The roundels and stencils are Kitsworld. Code letters are home made. The build is as is with the addition of Master barrels and HGW fabric belts. Paints are Tamiya predominatly, dark RAF green, Dark earth, Rubber Black and Nato black. 

At the time of the build, I did not have a complete set of colour call outs and to that end, a lot of time was spent researching both exterior and interior images and in answer to the handrail question, from what i could see, even in black and white images, the handrail is significantly lighter than the surrounding, mainly black structure. I think the handrail is only there to discourage grabbing any of the numerous  electrical cables that sit behind it when bomb aimer was exiting the aircraft. with what I had available I went with yellow. 

The kit goes together really well. The plastic used has a good feel, is sturdy without being too soft or brittle. The undercarriage in particular is more than up to the job of supporting the overall weight.  

There are mistakes although they are of my own doing rather than inherent in the kit, so I am not going to point them out. 

The build process is well thought out in terms of engineering, I only had a draft set of instructions but with the exception of a few parts, it was obvious where and how things fitted.

Wings and tailplane are removable for transport/storage.

Thats a very loose overview as to how it came to be. If anyone has any burning questions feel free to PM me and ill answer as best i can. 

Oh, and no I don't know how it compares with the WNW kit. 

Oh, and no I don't know how it compares with the WNW kit. 

Edited by Phartycr0c