CANicoll

Hi All:

Just spent a terrific weekend with Dave (Phartycroc), Roy, Mike, Richard and other members of the LSP/Sig32 group here in the UK.  MANY thanks to these very fine gentlemen for allowing me to jump into their terrific display and for the warm hospitality.  Can't say enough good things about this weekend.

EDIT:  No dropbox link - sorry, but I've done two other Telford threads on the clubs and SIGs and the models themselves.  Enjoy!

Here are the terrific Trio: Roy, Mike and Dave

irFS2M.jpg

And they even let me get a picture in too!

jMWtos.jpg

The display from the group was AWESOME and we had a prime location right at the entrance, next to Wing Nut Wings, and directly across from the food area.  I don't know who Roy paid to get that amazing slot but it was money well spent.  LOTS of attention overall, not to mention Dave's phenomenal Lancaster which I'll post in a separate thread.

onduXj.jpg

Some of the model pics:

JsBplO.jpg

I'm sorry for this, but I'm gushing all over this Typhoon.  The Lancaster is amazing for sure, but lets not forget Mike's amazing piece of work.  Can you count the coffee stirers that gave their lives for this display?  Just an amazing amount of detail that defies the eye.  Keep looking!

f3XNr8.jpg

You have to ask Mike where these figures came from - just amazing (ok, he got them from the Tamiya Rally Car mechanics set!)

KQFf4Z.jpg\

mSs1bo.jpg

And a few more other pics.  I have not done a lot of processing with these so I can get them up quickly:

2B49my.jpg

YXrmIs.jpg

zUMLmw.jpg

1ryBFW.jpg

Loved these signs.  IPMS Austria has a good sense of humor:

qPhrd2.jpg

BY0MXr.jpg

2WLLrh.jpg

More to come later.  Check out the thread of Dave's Lancaster (my external pics, sorry!).

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
change.

2 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Nice pictures Chris.

Was really good to meet up with you and thanks for the coffee!

Yes, the stand was great wasn’t it. Let’s hope we are as lucky with the position next year.

Great meeting you in person and thanks for taking the time to chat!  Meeting you all is the best part of coming over to Telford.  Next year, maybe we do a dinner!

Best, Chris

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

That was Roy's and I THINK it was the 100 Group Intelligence squadron.  Notice the lack of armament and the extra antennas and bulges.  VERY cool!

Great to meet you Chris, glad you had a good time. 

Roy told me which unit the B-17 was from, I can't remember if it was 214 or 223 Sqn.  Both were indeed 100 Gp, or to be a bit more formal, 100 (Bomber Support) group.  An absolutely fascinating organisation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._100_Group_RAF

See you next year?

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Roy told me which unit the B-17 was from, I can't remember if it was 214 or 223 Sqn.  Both were indeed 100 Gp, or to be a bit more formal, 100 (Bomber Support) group.  An absolutely fascinating organisation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._100_Group_RAF

See you next year?

It was 214 Sqn Mike, there will also be a Mosquito B Mk IV (192 Sqn) and a Liberator in the same scale joining it at some stage! 

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

See you next year?

Ahh, thank you:  I was listening in as Roy was talking about his plane - missed the squadron!

Most definitely - already made my hotel reservations at the Premier Inn before I left just to ensure the best location.  Will look forward to seeing you, Roy, Dave and the rest of the blokes back in Telford.  After set-up we'll have to get out for a pre-show dinner next year.

Best,

Chris

1 hour ago, Royboy said:

It was 214 Sqn Mike, there will also be a Mosquito B Mk IV (192 Sqn) and a Liberator in the same scale joining it at some stage! 

Morning Roy, it was good to meet you Saturday morning and have a chat about your wonderful Fortress III of 214 squadron.  You may remember me telling you about the occasion when I met a 214 squadron w/op when I visited a Bomber Command memorial ceremony in Canberra a few years ago, here he is on the right - Angus Cameron:

kBa4z1.jpg

Angus is talking to Dene Evans, 460 squadron, who flew on the last op. of the war to bomb Hitler's "Eagles Nest" at Berchtesgaden on 25 April 45 which turned out not to be the piece of cake they all thought it would be!  Fascinating men and a privilege to have the chance to talk to them.

2 hours ago, ericg said:

Is it a unique feature of the Typhoon that both ailerons dropped down at the same time? See this kit displayed like this all the time.

Eric

Well spotted Eric

I think the Mosquito has the same problem.

Nick