Stuka B (R) will fly ...

MikeMaben

2 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Very cool,  I follow the resto world pretty closely and I've not heard of this build until 

A few years back they posted a reward for any period manufacturing drawings of Stukas, so that was a dead giveaway that they were working on one. 

I also saw some suggestions that Westpac in CO was building a P-38 for then a few years ago, but I haven't seen confirmation of it yet. I do believe that they OWN a bunch of P-38 parts...so, you tell me.

Edit: appears to be out of the bag....http://www.westpacrestorations.com/index.php?page=p-38-lightening

Love the incorrect spelling.

Edited by BiggTim

9 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Very cool,  I follow the resto world pretty closely and I've not heard of this build until now?

By the look of those wings they'll fit easier and neater than the Trumpeter kits ones...:lol:

Some lovely sheet metal work but a long long way to go by the looks.

Matty

FB page with more pix : https://www.facebook.com/Randy.Malmstrom/media_set?set=a.1066982316662758&type=3

Info from Mr. Malmstrom who took the photos :

Junkers Ju 87R-4 Stuka (the “R” in this variant referring to Reichweite - basically referring to operational range). From what I have seen, the bulk of this particular aircraft rebuilld is Werk Nr. 0875709 built in 1941 and first served with Lehrgeschwader 1 (Demonstration Wing 1), and then with Sturzkampfgeschwader 5 (1./St.G 5, Dive Bomber Wing 5) with the markings of Stammkennzeichen LI+KU in northwestern Russia near the Finnish border. In April 1942, it was shot down by Soviet fighters while on a mission at Murmansk and crashed in a wilderness west of the city. There it lay until the early 1990s when a private collector recovered it and had it shipped to England. In 1997, it was acquired by the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin. Paul Allen’s Vulcan Warbirds, Inc. acquired it in 2010 and began a rebuild process in 2013 using the bulk of that aircraft as well as parts of another (I have not determined which one) as well as newly manufactured wings. It is now at Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum on Paine Field in Everett, Washington, where it is on display during the rest of the rebuild and it will be made airworthy and as such, should be the only airworthy Stuka in the world, and as of November 2018, I understand it will be 1.5 years until the rebuild being now finished in-house is completed with a Jumo engine. My photos of the aircraft, its original wings, and a Rheinmetall AG Bordkanone BK 3,7 autocannon (onboard cannon 3.7 cm).

The cannon , of course , is not part of this restoration.

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Very cool indeed, but hmmm... the one and only Jumo engine in the entire world like it will be powering this aircraft.  I'd have to think long and hard about leaving the ground behind it.

They'll probably just build a whole new one. And put the real one on display!

I'm sure if they're gonna fly it, which is their usual MO, they will find a way to make it safe and maintainable,. It is possible, however, that it will be a non-flying display. They have D-13 Yellow 10 and a Type 1b Oscar that are both airworthy, but they do not fly as they are the last of their kind. 

Given the level of detail they are going to, and the fact that there are other Stukas in existence (though not flying), I suspect they will put her in the air. And I sure as heck hope so!! What a sight that would be!! I am looking forward to seeing their P-38 fly someday.

Oh yes, and I'd go for a ride in that Stuka any day!!

Edited by BiggTim

On 11/12/2018 at 3:48 PM, MikeMaben said:

FB page with more pix : https://www.facebook.com/Randy.Malmstrom/media_set?set=a.1066982316662758&type=3

Info from Mr. Malmstrom who took the photos :

I’m more excited by the fact that they apparently have a beautifully restored B-52G at this museum (with original interior)!