Paul Fisher Fire Relief - GoFundMe

LSP_Kevin

5 hours ago, nichenson said:

I was holding on to some hope that Paul would have something to go back to, but alas, CalFire has made it down that way.  I gave some tears as I saw the news and pics.  I have known him through the hobby for over 20 years.  At one time or another, I have had almost all of his racing cars and a handful of his planes.  Here is a suggestion.  For the next group build or something similar can we have one in Paul's honor?

5 hours ago, seiran01 said:

400% on board with a group build on this, I have a few F9Fs queued up to build for when I finish a few shelf-of-doomers. 

I noticed the CalFire update yesterday as well, heartbreaking

As Kev said, while the intention is good, it is really narrow in scope. What I would suggest, if possible, is to pick out a Fisher Models kit or conversion set and build it in his honor within the 20thGB. I know this might really narrow things (I can only think of the Meteor conversion and the Cutlass off the top of my head) but would probably be better than try a separate GB. Let's see how much interest there is. You could always do your own theme build withing the regular Works in Progress forum, too. I am thinking of attacking my Cutlass kit for the 20thGB, assuming Paul doesn't need it to recreate a master.

3 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I am thinking of attacking my Cutlass kit for the 20thGB, assuming Paul doesn't need it to recreate a master.

I think that's another really valid point: once Paul has settled somewhere, he'll be looking to restart his business, and since he's lost all his master patterns, he'll also be looking to borrow as many of his kits from customers as possible, so he can recreate them. Many of you will be in possession of potentially rare examples of his catalogue, and Paul may need them before you build them!

Kev

14 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

As Kev said, while the intention is good, it is really narrow in scope. What I would suggest, if possible, is to pick out a Fisher Models kit or conversion set and build it in his honor within the 20thGB. I know this might really narrow things (I can only think of the Meteor conversion and the Cutlass off the top of my head) 

I also have one of Paul's 1/24th Bugatti 100Ps which technically is a twin as well.

I've seen the coverage of the fires on the news here in the Uk, but until you personalize it like this , it doesn't really sink in .. 

My heart goes out to Paul , his family and all the others caught in this fire.. thank goodness his family survived unlike so many others ,

I've built a fair few of his kits and conversions , and they've brought me nothing by joy over the years , 

Colin Ritchie

I have seen on the videos of the fire where there were burned out cars and trucks lining the road.  I heard on the radio yesterday they are now searching the ditches and around those vehicles for people that died.  This is going to be one of the worst loss of life fires in American History if not the worst.  The news has been trying to minimize how many may have died so that they are not reporting people dead that turn up latter.  But a lot of the missing are never going to be found alive.

41 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm also amazed looking at that pic of how many trees are still standing that have their leaves/needles still attached.

That means the fire was moving incredibly fast. The wind drives it forward so quickly it doesn't have time to consume all the fuel. The good part about that can be that some of the tougher trees will survive and turn green again next year. Unfortunately, there will be enough dead brush and trees left standing to make the next fire even worse, just like the conditions on the Carr fire earlier this year. Not to mention the erosion potential. Not a safe place to rebuild for a while.

Heres hoping Paul and Suzy set up shop somewhere else....

Edited by BiggTim

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It seems we have been veering into the strictly verboten area of politics here, so I've hidden the offending posts.

Kev

Shame Kev, I thought they were very funny!  Know what you mean though. 

Hi Guys....

I too have been amazed at how the trees seem to have survived while structures were destroyed. For many years I lived in fear of my neighbors' giant oak tree catching fire and falling on the barn, which would in turn torch the workshop, leading to the house. That oak tree still stands, as does my neighbors home, and yet my place got erased.Fire behaves in strange ways.

We kept our place mowed within an inch of the ground all year 'round, and had removed trees and shrubs to keep defensible space, but to no avail.Places covered in brush and fallen pine needles  did not burn. Go figure! Now, with 3 inches of rain forecast to fall over the weekend, there will be  mudslides.Our place is pretty much flat, but who knows what will come sliding down from above.

I noticed the metal lathe and milling machine poking up through the ashes in the pictures, sadly the heat of the the fires and now the rain will put  paid to any thoughts of salvage.40 years of collecting cutting tools and custom made lathe chuck jaws gone , what a waste.

Ah, well..I will have to modernize!

P

4 hours ago, paul fisher said:

Now, with 3 inches of rain forecast to fall over the weekend, there will be  mudslides.Our place is pretty much flat, but who knows what will come sliding down from above.

Thats exactly what I was afraid of! I sure hope those homes that survived the fires dont get nailed by that. 

On 11/23/2018 at 6:20 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

It seems we have been veering into the strictly verboten area of politics here, so I've hidden the offending posts.

Kev

Yes, and thank you for taking care of it.