Sign in to follow this  
ScanmanDan

1/48 Tamiya Kettenkrad SdKfz 2 ( Finished )

Just my latest distraction.  TB3 on the pad awaiting my nerves settling before I tackle more decals. ( I HATE decals ) Besides, Squirrel.........  :)

I'm always mucking about with little bases.  I'm trying to get a few materials and techniques together that will consistently give me good, quick results.  I like to work fast because if a project begins to drag I know I might just flit off to something else.  Here's the result of two weekends work so far.

Tree%2007-X2.jpg

Tree%2008-X2.jpg

Tree%2010-X2.jpg

Tree%2011-X2.jpg

Uwe is just going to nip up to the top of the hill with some gear then back to the bottom for another load, sure beats having to lug the gear up by hand.

More next week if I can get the airbrush out to tackle the little critter.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Dan, that all looks really great!  

Did you use a photo frame as your base, or did you make that yourself out of bits of wood?  

I'm just starting to get into "vignettes" and basic dioramas myself, after many years of thinking about it but not doing it.

Working on my very first one now which I'll post here when it's done. 

I'm curious to learn how you got that base to look this way.  Is the thicker part on top of the molding work some type of foam?

Thanks,

Jim

Progress? A long, enjoyable day at the paint bench. Purple primer, then yellow base coat with some shading sprayed on. Then break out the brushes to block all the colours in. Chips and scratches, then a quick shot of gloss from a rattle can followed up with some pin washes with oils and Tamiya enamels. Still some way to go but progress.

Tree%2014-XL.jpg

Tree%2015-XL.jpg

Tree%2016-XL.jpg

Jim - The base is a square molding from the hardware store with a ring of 2mm square styrene into which a square block of HD Foam is set.  The foam lets me get a bit of height and shape the terrain without too much hassle.  IHTH.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Thanks for all the nice feedback guys.

I have been a little sidetracked as I try my hand with a little set of etched bicycle kits.  I want one for the background.  I first tried the standard bike and made this.

Tree%2020-XL.jpg

Quite rough but sturdy, looks like a bike and taught me a bit , well enough to try the step through bike.

Tree%2023-XL.jpg

Thankfully I still have a couple of more kits to practice on.  :)  I have some more ideas to make it a bit better.  On this one I tried removing every other spoke to 'lighten' the look of the front wheel.  I think the front wheel looks a bit nicer.  I will do the next kit with both wheels done this way.  The rear sprockets still wrong but I have some ideas for that too ;)  . 

Thanks for dropping in for a look.

Dan

The spokes are an interesting animal.  The etch is quite thick and the wheels are a lovely clean white metal.  I have used 0.5mm stiff brass wire to pin everything together which makes for a surprisingly robust model for such a tiny thing.  These materials make it much easier for the Ham- fisted like me to actually build this little critter but I do think they could be made a touch finer.  While I can see a very good modeller modifying the parts to remove the spokes entirely I don't think I could pull that off convincingly.  I think with a bit more work I can get these kits to go together okay and look the part, at least a usual viewing distances.  

The purple primer is a bit of a lark, or nod if you will to the colour theory - counter shading ideas.  Once again I could see in the hands of someone better than me some benefits.  I like it mainly in that it adds a different 'glow' or tint to all the subsequent colours.  it is amazing who much effect you can get from subtle bits of colour hiding in all the shadow areas.  Just another way to get the model to POP a bit more.  

Looks great!   :clap2:     Maybe a little dusting of the front tire to tie it to the ground work would be all that i would do, other wise outstanding!