LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

I don’t think the car door Typhoon was on the model buying public’s Radar when the ‘bubbletop’ Kit was released. Somewhat like the Typhoon kit with seemingly a few bits of additional tooling you could create a -3 Hellcat.  

Maybe that’s a subject choice criteria for Airfix what subject can I do where I can maximise my base tooling investment and extract a number of subsequent variants out of the base tooling.

Anyhow.

If the kit turns out to be nice and there is general enthusiastic support in the wider modelling community for it then Airfix will either tool the bits needed for a -3 or the aftermarket will come along with the conversion parts required.

We just haven’t got em today...

11 hours ago, Shoggz said:

The designer was stood by his new 'baby' all day and what a pleasant (young!) chap he was.

I also met the gentleman who had built the beautiful example they had completed on the stand.

Apparently if there had been any delays on the M20 he wouldn't have made it! Another one on a tight building deadline like our Phartycroc with his HKM Lanc.

And not the only one, I was casting white metal undercarriage gear [ which wasn't going well to start with, as is usual until the mould warms up ] and then jumped in my car to get to Telford, they were starting to wonder if I was coming, I also had to build one Attacker between casting bouts and then I had problems spraying, the paint was reacting and clumping up in the gun! When you're that busy you really have to keep calm, it took me back to the days of Architectural modelling when there is no time and the models have to be crated and flown to Malaysia or wherever, afterwards the workshop is a scene from a battle ground and mine was no different this morning, must do better next year.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:48 AM, Out2gtcha said:

It IS big! 

Motorised?!?? That's pretty cool! I was already thinking about a gear up in-flight display to hang on my work room ceiling.

Now dont crucify me here, but honestly the only initial thing I see that seems off a tad to my Mk 1 eyeball are the wheels.....

Maybe I'm off, but it seems like the wheels at least look like they are a bit too low in profile........something just looks off. Obviously I'll wait to see things I person before making a final call, but with the motorised option, I'm picking this one up!

No, its not just you. In some photos- but not all- the wheels look a little bit odd. I'm sure its being addressed.

-d-

On 11/11/2018 at 6:57 PM, Dave Williams said:

Not necessarily.  Early -5s were built with -3 type rear cockpit windows.  I think the point is that if only a handful of early -5s were painted in tri-color, they would have also had the rear cockpit windows.  If the Airfix kit doesn’t include an option for the rear cockpit windows, then you can’t do one in tri-color from the box.

Honestly, i don't think any -5s were delivered in anything other than Gloss Sea B ue. You might be confusing it with the F4U-1D.

-d-

Looks amazing for sure, Airfix sure seem to have nailed the stressed skin effect, couple of thoughts and yup its early productions shots ... but the IP? it looks really soft, especially for 1/24 scale, am I missing something there? does the real one really look like that? the other thing was some of the riveting seems a bit heavy to me, but am no expert on this Aircraft type at all and of course know these are early shots and subject to change.

editor_181110_5be762c8a0582-1600x1200.jp

Its been a long, loooooong time since I have built anything Airfix 1/24 but have noticed how good the Mosquito and Typhoon were from other folks build reviews, would have preferred 1/32 for this subject of course but might just go for this ... again would have preferred a tri colour option, but not applicable to the version this kit depicts I read here ... fair play on that too.

Is there any midnight blue paint out there for this kit? Tamiya often release their own shades for new kits, but just thinking I'd need a fair bit of it if I were to buy the kit and would prefer not to mix it for correct shade :)

On 11/12/2018 at 2:42 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Just looking at the sprue closeups on iModeler. At the risk of being hanged... row after row of dimples for rivets? In 1/24 scale? Really? The ones that weren’t absolutely flush on the Hellcat were raised. And what I see looks drastically overdone.

Yes, noticed this too.

Perhaps subject to change though, but apart from this and the Instrument panel, it all look pretty damn good at this stage.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:42 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Just looking at the sprue closeups on iModeler. At the risk of being hanged... row after row of dimples for rivets? In 1/24 scale? Really? The ones that weren’t absolutely flush on the Hellcat were raised. And what I see looks drastically overdone.

I suspect that Airfix is still working off the assumption, probably correctly, that most people who build their kits brush paint rather than use an airbrush. So what looks overdone in the bare plastic, looks fine after painting since paint that is brushed on tends to go on thicker; certainly this is true when it comes to enamels.

Then you had to open up the raised versus recessed rivet debate. A long time ago, models had mostly raised panel lines and rivets and people said this wasn't realistic and detail around seams was lost and hard to restore. So now we have recessed panel lines and rivets, which are easier to preserve when cleaning up seams, but people still say they aren't realistic. If you want raised rivets, I'm pretty sure there are rivet decals available that can be applied over the recessed versions.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:08 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

There were several thousand -5s built with the aft windows, and I know for certain most all of them were in GSB.  As I said, I’ve yet to find a photo of a -5 in four-tone camo that I can positively identify.  I really don’t think it happened.

F6F-5 production started in April of 1944.

The BoA issued a directive in March 1944 that all carrier aircraft be painted in overall GSB.

Grumman pragmatically made the switch to GSB with the introduction of the -5. Hence all -5 production was in GSB . The first 1000 -5 airframes retained the rear fuselage windows. 

Late -3 airframes used some -5 features such as the revised cowl etc. The only way to really tell a late -3 from an early -5 is the paint scheme. Airfix’s kit is of a mid to late -5 as it has no rear windows. So there will unlikely be a tricolour wartime scheme for it. 

To back date the kit to a  mid production -3 you’d need to do the rear windows, windscreen , cowl and IP for starters. For a late -3 just the same minus the cowl mods..

the -5 used the R2800-10w while the -3 used the R2800-10 I’m not sure if there is any physical difference in model form..

For a -5N you need the exhaust flame dampers radar pod, and the revised IP (which we seem to have) with scope. Some -5N’s had a mixed battery of .50 and 20mm Cannon.

Thanks to some great reference material and I hope the above is useful...

25 minutes ago, Plasto said:

the -5 used the R2800-10w while the -3 used the R2800-10 I’m not sure if there is any physical difference in model form.

Well the water tank and plumbing for the water injection system would be one thing!

4 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

Looks amazing for sure, Airfix sure seem to have nailed the stressed skin effect, couple of thoughts and yup its early productions shots ... but the IP? it looks really soft, especially for 1/24 scale, am I missing something there? does the real one really look like that?

thats what I was thinking, but I think it is trying to reproduce the reflector that sat on top of the panel to aid night vision

in all the period shots I can find the panel looks like this..

panel26_zpssntjgbwj.jpg

I can't assume all period shots were only nightfighters tho..

In non period it looks like this...

panel26a_zpst7qklrpa.jpg

..so I am not sure if the reflector fitting was exclusively nightfighers, though as I said it is festooned with small red lamps which is a night vision thing and I think this is the part Airfix have captured. I suspect the normal IP is a clear part beneath this - that or ALL dash 5's had it...

trying to unravel that little mystery...

Peter

Hi Peter, this panel really reminds me of the old “steam-dial” set up on the older legacy DHC-6 Twin Otters I used to fly... festooned with the red lamps over all and guages, guages, guages... my money is on the Nightfighter version - any a/c so equiped is going to be used primarily in both daylight and darkness; just like our Otters that were so equiped for night Instrument Flight Rules (IFR)... the Otters used only in daylight (Visual Flight Rules [VFR])ops were on floats and they were not equiped with the red lamps. 

Cheers

Alan

4 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

Looks amazing for sure, Airfix sure seem to have nailed the stressed skin effect, couple of thoughts and yup its early productions shots ... but the IP? it looks really soft, especially for 1/24 scale, am I missing something there? does the real one really look like that? the other thing was some of the riveting seems a bit heavy to me, but am no expert on this Aircraft type at all and of course know these are early shots and subject to change.

Its been a long, loooooong time since I have built anything Airfix 1/24 but have noticed how good the Mosquito and Typhoon were from other folks build reviews, would have preferred 1/32 for this subject of course but might just go for this ... again would have preferred a tri colour option, but not applicable to the version this kit depicts I read here ... fair play on that too.

Is there any midnight blue paint out there for this kit? Tamiya often release their own shades for new kits, but just thinking I'd need a fair bit of it if I were to buy the kit and would prefer not to mix it for correct shade :)

After a quick search of the inter web, I think when we get a definiative answer from someone that has real expertise we will find this piece is used on F6F-5N night fighters.  A quick search looks like this was installed over the regular IP.