Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

I'm a big fan of the F6F Hellcat, but i admit i never saw this coming.

I thought a more logical choice would be a Corsair, but considering everything that's wrong with the 32nd scale Trumpeter and Hasegawa offerings.... i'm more than willing to make my first 24th scale build a Hellcat. I'd probably build a specialized display case for it. Maybe i'll fold one wing... maybe not.

Plenty of interesting markings out there and in 24th scale painting the "G-Symbols".... and the insignia, for that matter... should be easy.

Bring. It. On.

-d-

2 minutes ago, Patrick HMD said:

Not tempted at all simply because I will buy one after all the hoopla subsides.  I'm already thinking of backdating it to a dash 3 with tri color paint. Think of all the possibilities.  Don't like the sharks teeth though.  This guy has been on my 1/24th wish list for a long, long time.  Thanks Airfix.  From the looks of it, it will be up to the same standards as the Typhoon.  Not to worry Airfix, these are going to fly off the selves I'm sure.  I'm hoping a Corsair will follow.  But who knows.  Those Airfix guys are so tight lipped.  Like the Typhoon, this was indeed a pleasant surprise.  Hoping for another pleasant surprise later on.

You know, this might be a test case to see how well a 24th scale Navy subject is welcomed by the community. If memory serves, the last US subject Airfix did in 24th was the P-51D Mustang.

-d-

3 minutes ago, Ossington 1 said:

Well' I'm happy. I have been collecting Hellcat info off the net for a week or so, thinking I'll finally start the Hasegawa/Frog Hellcat I bought thirty years ago, if I can find it up there. Now I''ll wait. Hope there's a BPF scheme in the box.

BPF?  You lost me there Sir.

4 hours ago, JerseyChris said:

Hi everyone, long time lurker who finds the builds in this forum very inspiring (if not a little intimidating!), have finally decided to get my finger out and get involved. This announcement leaves me a little dissapointed tbh, I will certainly get one as I do like the hellcat, but if the agenda was "let's do an American plane this time", I can think of others that would be far more appealing :

thunderbolt, lightning, dauntless, devastator, kittyhawk, sabre , phantom et all.

I wonder what made Airfix think this particular kit would sell as well as say a Thunderbolt for example?

Cheers,

Chris

Welcome Chris, glad you've decided to "de-lurk"! 

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Just watched Alan Kelley's live stream of the Airfix announcement, and it's a 1/24 Hellcat. I managed to grab a quick screenshot:

1133417998_ScreenShot2018-11-10at10_03_13pm.thumb.png.9355991d78b5dabc32be5dc826a1c391.png

Kev

Mr-Bean-OMG.gif

Speaking as a long time Pacific War buff, this is incredible news. I'm in!

Edited by coogrfan

6 hours ago, John1 said:

Can't decide if it's overdone or just the reflection of the paint.  

Agree, my initial thoughts too. I think it's reflected light on the paint though, that glossy blue looks to have picked up quite a bit of reflections etc. I would expect the surface effect will be same 'quality' as their Typhoons?

Edited by azzaob

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I am shocked as I fully expected a Brit subject what with the 100th anniversary going on,

More than shocked here if i'm honest. In some respects i feel cheated out of a British aircraft given that it is 100 years since the mighty Royal Air Force came into being (proudly served in for 17 years).

Catering for the American and Far eastern markets in my opinion. Not on my buying radar

53 minutes ago, flounder_al said:

More than shocked here if i'm honest. In some respects i feel cheated out of a British aircraft given that it is 100 years since the mighty Royal Air Force came into being (proudly served in for 17 years).

Catering for the American and Far eastern markets in my opinion. Not on my buying radar

Yep, pretty much agree with that. I doubt that that will sell all that many here in the Antipodes either.

From a marketing perspective I can to some extent understand the decision, as there seems to be no real large scale competition in Hellcats and I presume that the US market is a significantly large one? I too would have loved a Corsair, but that's already well into Tamiya territory, and I guess if the engine is on a separate sprue that we may see it used again on a different plane.

Like the Typhoon it looks fantastic, it's just not my thing.

Steve

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

Looking forwards to hearing of the other new announcements.

There aren't any (from Airfix at least). I asked on Facebook and they said they have some for us to look forward to next year but no more at Telford, just this.

Edited by KiwiZac