LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Since we’ve found zero documentation thus far, anything I or anyone else tells you is purely a guess.  But in order to control cameras, yes, you would need a camera control panel.  Where it was or what it looked like I can’t say until we come up with a -5P manual with illustrations or photos.

But it *is* very seductive :)

Didn't Harv do a -5P sometime here a while back, or am I thinking of something else?

I’ve progressing hesitating into my build. I’m working on all things common to a Dash 3 and a 5.  I haven’t seen any movement in the aftermarket world for an F6F-3 windshield/canopy so I’m setting up to make my own with an old Mattel Vacuform machine. I really don’t want to build this kit into a Dash 5 if I can avoid it. My thoughts so far on this Airfix Hellcat... I like the effort Airfix put into recreating the details.  The Eduard Engine Detail set has some merit, but as for me, their Wingfold set doesn’t enhance the work that Airfix already did in this area.  The tires need to be replaced and the Reskit tires are excellent.  However the Airfix kit tail wheel is better than the resin one.  The Airscale cockpit is best suited for an F6F-3 and I like it very much.  The kit’s .50 cal guns are quite acceptable.  Sharping the detail of the cooling jackets and adding a bit of detail to the breeches make them as good as the aftermarket sets.  The fit of the engine components is tight, but that’s better than too loose.  After 30 minutes of sanding, everything slides together nicely.  The oil cross over tube parts and the cylinder pushrods are to my eye, too large in diameter.  I really like the look of the engine after these parts were replaced.  I haven’t worked on an Airfix kit in eons, but I like this one because I like the subject.  

3 hours ago, Randy said:

I’ve progressing hesitating into my build. I’m working on all things common to a Dash 3 and a 5.  I haven’t seen any movement in the aftermarket world for an F6F-3 windshield/canopy so I’m setting up to make my own with an old Mattel Vacuform machine. I really don’t want to build this kit into a Dash 5 if I can avoid it. My thoughts so far on this Airfix Hellcat... I like the effort Airfix put into recreating the details.  The Eduard Engine Detail set has some merit, but as for me, their Wingfold set doesn’t enhance the work that Airfix already did in this area.  The tires need to be replaced and the Reskit tires are excellent.  However the Airfix kit tail wheel is better than the resin one.  The Airscale cockpit is best suited for an F6F-3 and I like it very much.  The kit’s .50 cal guns are quite acceptable.  Sharping the detail of the cooling jackets and adding a bit of detail to the breeches make them as good as the aftermarket sets.  The fit of the engine components is tight, but that’s better than too loose.  After 30 minutes of sanding, everything slides together nicely.  The oil cross over tube parts and the cylinder pushrods are to my eye, too large in diameter.  I really like the look of the engine after these parts were replaced.  I haven’t worked on an Airfix kit in eons, but I like this one because I like the subject.  

I'll be up for a canopy or two for sure, I already have the airscale cockpit and really think an F3 worth pursuing.