Jump to content
LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

 

Can you refer me to where you saw that at the time? As I recall, they released the bubbletop, but there was no reference at all to the car door version, it just showed up a year or two later.

 

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

The -3 isn't like the Typhoon, too many differences at this scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, seen Rush live on the R30 tour at Glasgow, awesome ... now we're really going off on a tangent, but I'd love if they did one last tour, I would be there come hell or high water.

Bringing it back on topic (somewhat) I wonder what Airfix's next 1/24 all new release will be? if they go Japanese I hope its a Val or Kate ... and I've said it before really wish Airfix would switch from 1/24 to 1/32, they make some good interesting subjects and their recent kits in this scale are top quality, doubt that will happen though.

Seriously considering the Hellcat as a one off diversion from my preferred 1/32 for aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JM2112 said:

 

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

 

 

My point was that despite those few that may have known, it was not widely acknowledged to be a sure thing, though there was quite a bit of speculation at the time that it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 9:47 PM, LSP_K2 said:

 

My point was that despite those few that may have known, it was not widely acknowledged to be a sure thing, though there was quite a bit of speculation at the time that it would be.

 

I seem to remember at the launch in 2013 that the car-door was mentioned as a planned release further down the line if the bubble-top sold well.

Edited by JM2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JM2112 said:

 

I seem to remember at the launch in 2013 that the car-door was mentioned as a planned release further down the line if the bubble-top sold well.

 

Did you by any chance also work on this Hellcat, and if so, what was the nature of that work? In fact, I'm curious what your involvement was with the Typhoon kit(s) as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 2:55 AM, JM2112 said:

 

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

The -3 isn't like the Typhoon, too many differences at this scale.

Put in a good word for us on that -3 with Airfix, I will do my tiny part and support the Hellcat market by purchasing one of the new Hellcat’s they have already announced but a -3 would be nice in the future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those from Airfix in the know, what happened to their glass nosed 1/24 Mosquito ... was it ever on the cards, down to sales too perhaps, looks like its still a good seller to me for 1/24?

What I'd really like to see is a glass nosed Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, really thought that would follow on as their Zero/Spitfire/Mustang/Corsairs did ... but it hasn't, same with their 1/32 F-16 possible logical additions, just no fathoming out Tamiya at all :) At this point I'd like to see Tamiya release their 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 one last time  ... kicking myself for the chance of buying one at its release and not doing it.

Tamiya have bailed it seems for foreseeable future and their 1/32 series, so fair play to Airfix for what they do these days, just (personally) wish it were 1/32 and not 1/24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

To those from Airfix in the know, what happened to their glass nosed 1/24 Mosquito ... was it ever on the cards, down to sales too perhaps, looks like its still a good seller to me for 1/24?

What I'd really like to see is a glass nosed Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, really thought that would follow on as their Zero/Spitfire/Mustang/Corsairs did ... but it hasn't, same with their 1/32 F-16 possible logical additions, just no fathoming out Tamiya at all :) At this point I'd like to see Tamiya release their 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 one last time  ... kicking myself for the chance of buying one at its release and not doing it.

Tamiya have bailed it seems for foreseeable future and their 1/32 series, so fair play to Airfix for what they do these days, just (personally) wish it were 1/32 and not 1/24.

Tamiya are doing their usual long term thing, it may or may not include 1/32 Airplanes.  They just announced a 1/24 Ford GT, a Vietnam era Tank, a WWII reconsaince Car, a 1/24 Nissan Z sports car and a 1/48 Spitifire Mk I and those are all kits announced in the Fall of 2018.  They do what they do and they cover all scale modeling subjects.  We may get other 1/32 planes eventually but unlike ZM or WNW they do a lot more than airplanes.  

 

I am a huge Tamiya Fan but I recognize that we get what we get, and other companies like Airfix are releasing lots of great subjects.  I am happy enough with an Airfix Hellcat.  Definitely my favorite plastic kit announcement of the year.  I know a 1/32 P-40B has been announced by Great Wall but it looks like it has a long way to go before it is baked and ready.  The Hellcat looks pretty well ready to serve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I must admit, I am still very excited about the Airfix Hellcat too. Having seen it 'in the plastic', to me, it looks a real winner.

 

Agreed, though I have not seen it in person. I am usually a "one plane - one model" kind of guy, so having built a Cat a while back, I never expected to want another. This big guy is making me twitch a little, though. Plus, I now have a display base for something like this, and nothing to put on it. Damn these devilish model makers......

 

BTW, Shoggz, you really need to take that whole Duxford reference out of your signature. You're just making me jealous. :)

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...