LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

It seems to me that if you have a spare 1/24 pilot hanging about in your spare parts box, you can make sufficient "adjustments" to that figure to make him fit.  After all, you only need to see head, torso and upper arms.  All this talk of pilot figures and spinning props has me thinking that I might build mine with gear down and flaps partially lowered and dangling from the ceiling as if on approach. :)  This means that I can also display it without the pilot on the shelf.

Definitely looking forward to building this kit!!

Cheers,

Michael

A couple of years back there was a Tamiya F4U-1 (unsure of scale) finished as though it was in the factory, on some sort of dolly, with the fuselage either primed or natural metal. With the detail on Airfix’s new 1/24 Hellcat, I’d love to replicate that kind of setup. Just need to find the Grumman factory pics now. 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:53 AM, Out2gtcha said:

My main gripe is that Id love to display it on my ceiling,  utilizing the cool spinning prop option, but without a seated pilot, that doesn't do me much good at all. 

Build it as a Drone... Problem solved.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, GrahamF said:

I know somebody who could do that for £500. That's the trouble when you don't speak to people in the professional model making world you make assumptions.

Graham

Thats tooling costs, not sculpting.

On 11/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, Kagemusha said:

I can't see them not doing a -3 further down the road, despite the official line.

I don’t think they’ve even suggested doing a -3.

The reason why the kit is a -5 is because there were so many detail differences between the -3 and -5 that would be noticeable at that scale that they decided not to compromise and run with one specific variant only, hence the -5.

1 hour ago, JM2112 said:

Thats tooling costs, not sculpting.

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

Makes sense. Why add cost when the pilot figure is relatively dispensable and not seen by most of your customer base as a deal breaking item.

Traditions are nice if you can afford them..

2 hours ago, JM2112 said:

I don’t think they’ve even suggested doing a -3.

The reason why the kit is a -5 is because there were so many detail differences between the -3 and -5 that would be noticeable at that scale that they decided not to compromise and run with one specific variant only, hence the -5.

They didn't suggest they were going to do a car door Typhoon either, then they went ahead and did one. To not do a -3 would be insane.

3 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

Again that’s tooling costs not sculpting. Also I’d not believe stuff you read on other forums.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

They didn't suggest they were going to do a car door Typhoon either, then they went ahead and did one. To not do a -3 would be insane.

Actually they did,  and the breakdown of the Kit -  not to mention the subject matter - facilitated that.

45 minutes ago, JM2112 said:

Actually they did,  and the breakdown of the Kit -  not to mention the subject matter - facilitated that.

Can you refer me to where you saw that at the time? As I recall, they released the bubbletop, but there was no reference at all to the car door version, it just showed up a year or two later.