Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

When is the proposed release date?

They were saying May 2019 at Telford.

It's the kit I'm most looking forward to this year.

It will have to go some to beat the 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I, mind! #heresy

11 hours ago, nmayhew said:

As a Brit I like the SEA FAA schemes, but I still think they chose the wrong variant.

Surely the earlier version with all its tri-colour US Navy schemes would have had more ‘wow factor’?

that being said, I’ll still probably buy one.

I agree 100%. Doing the -5 first, leaves me with no real options that I personally like, so I'll hold out for a -3, assuming they do one, which I imagine they will.

13 hours ago, nmayhew said:

As a Brit I like the SEA FAA schemes, but I still think they chose the wrong variant.

Surely the earlier version with all its tri-colour US Navy schemes would have had more ‘wow factor’?

that being said, I’ll still probably buy one.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I agree 100%. Doing the -5 first, leaves me with no real options that I personally like, so I'll hold out for a -3, assuming they do one, which I imagine they will.

This to me, sounds like what if felt like with Tamiyas F4Us.  Release the less popular version first, hoping to grab some "first to hit the market" sales , then release the much more popular version, and  pick up the main bulk of the sales.   This seems reasonable to me, as it seems to put more sales of the lesser known version than had they released it after the -3.

I have a lot of the kit parts and the instructions PDF now and I can tell you with absolute confidence you are going to be blown away...

it is really, really good - hugely detailed and very true to the original drawings

..the IP offers two clear parts, one with raised dial detail and one with flat discs for decals (which I don't have) so I have made a cool PE set for the IP & bulkhead along with side consoles and smaller instrument clusters along with bespoke colour decals for all instrumentation & placards

the kit parts are great, but I think I can do better :ph34r:

Peter

20 minutes ago, airscale said:

I have a lot of the kit parts and the instructions PDF now and I can tell you with absolute confidence you are going to be blown away...

it is really, really good - hugely detailed and very true to the original drawings

..the IP offers two clear parts, one with raised dial detail and one with flat discs for decals (which I don't have) so I have made a cool PE set for the IP & bulkhead along with side consoles and smaller instrument clusters along with bespoke colour decals for all instrumentation & placards

the kit parts are great, but I think I can do better :ph34r:

Peter

Yay!    :D

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

They are not at all difficult to assemble if you follow the instructions, and they look very convincing when done. They are like a small kit themselves.

YSxVh59l.jpg

I am dying to know how the wing fold works and if you can switch between folded and extended.

After taking a look at the photos above which show wings extend, folded and a sprue shot with the oper wing, looks to me like it is one or the other and you have to cut it apart to fold it.  Will have to see to confirm.  I was hoping that you could position the wings interchanbly between folded and extended.  Not necessarily working, just postponable.  Would have been great for display.

Edited by cbk57