Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

On 7/6/2019 at 6:37 PM, RonGUSA said:

It has nothing to do with following the instructions. Its the fit of the parts, they are just to tight! I'm not the only one saying this. As I said Nigel on YouTube had to use a lathe to turn down the crankcase parts J3 &J4 by a least a 1/2 of a mm without a lathe it's sand...sand...sand.

Ron G 

I sanded and scraped down the mating areas of part J3 and J4, and a little off the edges of J5, and snipped a millimeter or so off the tabs. Worked well, a bit snug but it works. 

Skin wrinkling

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/Content/1944/F6F_Fl_4410_folded_p076_W.png

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-grumman-f6f-hellcat-was-a-carrier-based-fighter-aircraft-grumman-xf6f-36112576.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiGqaWr77bjAhVErxoKHQI3B-EQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F308707749434885700%2F&psig=AOvVaw1bhJS5bVRHlqLWRl2ZslMy&ust=1563278220938478

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jennings. From a logic/seductive reasoning perspective, there would’ve had to have been some kind of camera control box. Following on from that, it would make sense that the cameras and the camera control box were standard with other USN/USAAF fits?

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Since we’ve found zero documentation thus far, anything I or anyone else tells you is purely a guess.  But in order to control cameras, yes, you would need a camera control panel.  Where it was or what it looked like I can’t say until we come up with a -5P manual with illustrations or photos.

But it *is* very seductive :)

Didn't Harv do a -5P sometime here a while back, or am I thinking of something else?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve progressing hesitating into my build. I’m working on all things common to a Dash 3 and a 5.  I haven’t seen any movement in the aftermarket world for an F6F-3 windshield/canopy so I’m setting up to make my own with an old Mattel Vacuform machine. I really don’t want to build this kit into a Dash 5 if I can avoid it. My thoughts so far on this Airfix Hellcat... I like the effort Airfix put into recreating the details.  The Eduard Engine Detail set has some merit, but as for me, their Wingfold set doesn’t enhance the work that Airfix already did in this area.  The tires need to be replaced and the Reskit tires are excellent.  However the Airfix kit tail wheel is better than the resin one.  The Airscale cockpit is best suited for an F6F-3 and I like it very much.  The kit’s .50 cal guns are quite acceptable.  Sharping the detail of the cooling jackets and adding a bit of detail to the breeches make them as good as the aftermarket sets.  The fit of the engine components is tight, but that’s better than too loose.  After 30 minutes of sanding, everything slides together nicely.  The oil cross over tube parts and the cylinder pushrods are to my eye, too large in diameter.  I really like the look of the engine after these parts were replaced.  I haven’t worked on an Airfix kit in eons, but I like this one because I like the subject.  

3 hours ago, Randy said:

I’ve progressing hesitating into my build. I’m working on all things common to a Dash 3 and a 5.  I haven’t seen any movement in the aftermarket world for an F6F-3 windshield/canopy so I’m setting up to make my own with an old Mattel Vacuform machine. I really don’t want to build this kit into a Dash 5 if I can avoid it. My thoughts so far on this Airfix Hellcat... I like the effort Airfix put into recreating the details.  The Eduard Engine Detail set has some merit, but as for me, their Wingfold set doesn’t enhance the work that Airfix already did in this area.  The tires need to be replaced and the Reskit tires are excellent.  However the Airfix kit tail wheel is better than the resin one.  The Airscale cockpit is best suited for an F6F-3 and I like it very much.  The kit’s .50 cal guns are quite acceptable.  Sharping the detail of the cooling jackets and adding a bit of detail to the breeches make them as good as the aftermarket sets.  The fit of the engine components is tight, but that’s better than too loose.  After 30 minutes of sanding, everything slides together nicely.  The oil cross over tube parts and the cylinder pushrods are to my eye, too large in diameter.  I really like the look of the engine after these parts were replaced.  I haven’t worked on an Airfix kit in eons, but I like this one because I like the subject.  

I'll be up for a canopy or two for sure, I already have the airscale cockpit and really think an F3 worth pursuing.

• 1 month later...

I think I may put this here, instead of creating a new thread:

aeroscale.kitmaker.net

Master has released two sets of turned brass gun barrels replicating the uncovered and faired 0.50 calibre Browning machine guns for the 1/24 scale Grumman Hellcat

001.jpg

007.jpg

Cheers.

Juraj

EDIT: Just saw it it in the "Vendors" section... Sorry for the duplicity...

Edited by Trak-Tor
update

1 hour ago, mozart said:

That’ll be “duplication” Juraj, duplicity is something completely different, ie trickery, fraud, lying etc. 

There is a semantic connection, though, if you consider that one of the colloquial analogues for duplicitous is two-faced.

Kev

4 minutes ago, Trak-Tor said:

It's always nice to learn something new.
Don't hesitate to correct me anytime you see something wrong in my posts...

:rolleyes:

Juraj

The English language is full of subtleties and nuances Juraj. As a non-native speaker your use of English is excellent but I thought you’d appreciate a well intentioned correction. :)

On 10/18/2019 at 1:43 AM, mozart said:

The English language is full of subtleties and nuances Juraj. As a non-native speaker your use of English is excellent but I thought you’d appreciate a well intentioned correction. :)

Subtleties & nuances? Sometimes English is down right weird!

Your knowledge of English is very good, Juraj! A hell of a lot better than my Russian, which is the only language I have had some education in from that part of the world!