Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

Any word on aftermarket for the kit, apart from the Airscale update & the Fundecals decals/masks? Thinking the usual suspects:

- .50 cal barrels & blast tubes (Master?)

- wheels (Barracuda or Ultracast?)

- belts (HGW? etc.)

Cheers. 

13 hours ago, GMK said:

Any word on aftermarket for the kit, apart from the Airscale update & the Fundecals decals/masks? Thinking the usual suspects:

- .50 cal barrels & blast tubes (Master?)

- wheels (Barracuda or Ultracast?)

- belts (HGW? etc.)

Cheers. 

Eduard has instrument panel & interior, engine Flaps, a seat, seatbelts and inner and outer canopy masks. HGW has seatbelts and you can use Masters P-47 brass barrels (with some mods) also Gaspatch makes some really nice 50 cal. machine gun bodies. Maketar has insignia masks for all the different ones used on the Hellcats. Thats as much as I know of.

Ron G 

4 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

Eduard has instrument panel & interior, engine Flaps, a seat, seatbelts and inner and outer canopy masks. HGW has seatbelts and you can use Masters P-47 brass barrels (with some mods) also Gaspatch makes some really nice 50 cal. machine gun bodies. Maketar has insignia masks for all the different ones used on the Hellcats. Thats as much as I know of.

Ron G 

Couldn’t find the guns for the P-47 in 1/24 from Master, sadly. Thanks though!

On 7/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Great find!  Take a look at that glossy fuselage and note that you see virtually no "distress" in the skin.  You can see a *tiny* bit on the wing, but nothing like what Airfix portrays.

Although I was in agreement with you in the beginning and remained so after inspecting my kit’s wings and fuselage myself, I’m now convinced that depending on the particular aircraft being depicted, distressed skin is appropriate on the Hellcat.  However, I noticed that Airfix put the recesses over the panel lines (where the ribs and spars would be) not between them.  Now every time I look at those large plastic parts, it really bugs me.  

Edited by Randy
Spelling

10 hours ago, Randy said:

Although I was in agreement with you in the beginning and remained so after inspecting my kit’s wings and fuselage myself, I’m now convinced that depending on the particular aircraft being depicted, distressed skin is appropriate on the Hellcat.  However, I noticed that Airfix put the recesses over the panel lines (where the ribs and spars would be) not between them.  Now every time I look at those large plastic parts, it really bugs me.  

The metal could just as easily pop out as well as in. Just depends which way required less force. On a dead flat surface you should see a variation in the oil canning. If there is a slight curve, most times metal would go out with the curve.

Ok Oil canning is the metal bending etc due to fatigue and tends to run at an angle to panels a great example is the B-52. Its skin flexes under load eventually stretching enough that it flexes in that wavey pattern..ie oil canning.

Stressed skin is the flexing of the skin caused by riveting or other means and placing the skin under load ie P-51 flaps etc and the stress is visible along the panels ie spars and ribs etc where riveting took place.

Trying to make a point that they are not the same one is fatigue shall we say generated one manufacture process.

oil canningblog-b-52_mg_8777.jpg

Stress skin page very well put together.

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/stressed_skin/

A lot of modelers I know aren't that particular when it comes to expressions honestly including myself. When I refer to oil canning I always have used it as a general expression/term for any distortion of metal due to airframe stress or manufacturing.

Please note that "stress" isn't just caused by flying. Stresses in metals is also caused by other factors including simple change in temperature. If a thin metal sheet spans any distance and is constrained from expansion/contraction, like being fixed to a structure, such as spars and other members of a wing, and the temperature gets warmer, the sheet metal will expand. If the structure doesn't expand at precisely the same rate (and it won't as other members will keep it from doing so), then something has to give. Since there is very little strength in sheet metal perpendicular to the surface, it pops up or down to allow the increase in dimension. It therefore could happen just because the plane was built at 40 deg, and it warmed to 80.

Stress from flying loads on sheet metal are typically in tension or shear so stress marks will look different. The main structure is suppose to take the stresses in the perpendicular direction.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:17 AM, Out2gtcha said:

A lot of modelers I know aren't that particular when it comes to expressions honestly including myself. When I refer to oil canning I always have used it as a general expression/term for any distortion of metal due to airframe stress or manufacturing.

Thats fine just trying to point out there is a difference.

Metal distortion from manufacturing and distortion from airframe stress have both been referenced as oil canning for as long as I've been modeling, and by most modelers that I know. 

For me the "difference" comes down to, as most things do, from someone in the past seeing the effect (s) and deciding they should have different names.

For me in the end, it's the result, which is all distortion of the exterior airframe aluminum (regardless of what caused it) as far as expressions for the results go.

Both can be made worse, evident, or more evident by stress/temperature on the airframe and in the end the results are it's all deformation of the aircraft exterior skin.