Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

Hello Jennings,

Please contact me offline. I have an extra Hellcat kit you can use for engineering stencils. I am very interested in national insignia and numbers.

jmwitous@aol.com

Thanks

Interesting, that’s my email I’ve had for 17 years. Anyway, I would be interested in masks for the stars and bars as well as numbers. You can text me at 951-237-7577 if the email doesn’t work.

Hey all

There are issues with this kit. Number one is the motor fit is way off the parts don't go together without a lot, and I mean alot of sanding. If you go to YouTube and look at Nigels builds you will see he actually used a lathe to turn down the crankcase part to get it to fit. Number two the paint callouts for the engine are way off. If you look at photos from the internet and books you will get a better idea on how to do it.

You can also go to my two posts. One is on understanding what all the parts are on the P&W R-2800-10W and one on how to build, paint and detail it. Look for Crankycraftsmans build posts. I also have one on how I'm converting mine to a late F6F-3 in the tri-color paint scheme.

Ron G (Crankycraftsman)

Edited by RonGUSA

2 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Engine seems to be going together OK here - pic below is mostly just press fit together. Did remove some flash and sand the seam on the crankcase but nothing dramatic...

VTeyRff.jpg

Then you were extremely lucky.

1 hour ago, coogrfan said:

...or maybe he followed the instructions?

It has nothing to do with following the instructions. Its the fit of the parts, they are just to tight! I'm not the only one saying this. As I said Nigel on YouTube had to use a lathe to turn down the crankcase parts J3 &J4 by a least a 1/2 of a mm without a lathe it's sand...sand...sand.

Ron G