Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

7 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I am dying to know how the wing fold works and if you can switch between folded and extended.

After taking a look at the photos above which show wings extend, folded and a sprue shot with the oper wing, looks to me like it is one or the other and you have to cut it apart to fold it.  Will have to see to confirm.  I was hoping that you could position the wings interchanbly between folded and extended.  Not necessarily working, just postponable.  Would have been great for display.

Having gone through that on my Sky Raider, I have a feeling its not working or positionable (although the last one would be cool for sure) as when I got done, it did work but left a lot to be desired in the gap department when it came to folding them down.  

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I am dying to know how the wing fold works and if you can switch between folded and extended.

I just checked the instructions and you choose one or other option, it doesn't look to me like you can switch

That said there are 200 odd stages to assembly and the PDF I have is not in step by step order as it's what goes to the printer - but I am pretty sure...

Peter

14 hours ago, airscale said:

I just checked the instructions and you choose one or other option, it doesn't look to me like you can switch

That said there are 200 odd stages to assembly and the PDF I have is not in step by step order as it's what goes to the printer - but I am pretty sure...

Peter

Thanks for checking.  I was looking at the wing and finally decided that based upon the location of the landing gear, the wing fold line and the attachment to the fuselage, that the wing is in one piece and I bet there is a scribe line on the underside to open it up for the folded option.  

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Since it seams that the only (Id like to build my F6F-5 wheels up in flight) seated pilots available in 1/24th are in the old Airfix kits, does anyone know if this beaut will come with a seated pilot?

May have a good lead on something really cool for this. Will update when I know. 

On 3/11/2019 at 4:05 PM, hanna said:

Any idea when your parts will be on sale? Thanks,  Mike Krizan 

Hi Mike - they are in production so I think about 4 weeks - I am not sure of the kit release date though

17 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Since it seams that the only (Id like to build my F6F-5 wheels up in flight) seated pilots available in 1/24th are in the old Airfix kits, does anyone know if this beaut will come with a seated pilot?

TIA

Hi Brian - I can't see a pilot in the instructions, so I am pretty sure it doesn't sorry

Peter

Bummer, but thanks Peter. 

I think I have a lead on a 1/24th pilot.....................I think.   I found what appears to be a decently sculpted/scanned 3D printed WWII USN pilot:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/figurines/us-navy-pilot

He is a tad on the pricey side, but in its current configuration, is in 1/6th scale, however the OP has put out the scale factors on the pilot including 1:24 = 0.251.

The pilot seems to come in multiple parts, including different head and arm combos (including gunners position arms for rear gunners positions):

us-navy-pilot-3d-model-stl.jpg

Obviously its not a perfect setup, but Ive got a note into the guy to see if he can in fact do a 1/24th scale copy, and how much it is. Ill update here once I know. 

Ok, I heard back from Max, who is the one who produces the 3D printable pilot. Here is what he had to say:

"Hello Brian Thank you for your request. If purchasing one of my data-models, you have the possibility to print it by your self in the scale you ever want to have it. That's why I can not make any reductions of price. Hope you understand and best regards, Max Grueter"

So it seems he produces the file for you to print, but it also has a "hire me" button on his site as well, so I'm assuming you can also hire him to print it as well........I think. Either way, it does appear possible to print a decent WWI USN sitting pilot.

The price set at $39 USD.