Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

On 11/26/2018 at 2:55 AM, JM2112 said:

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

The -3 isn't like the Typhoon, too many differences at this scale.

Put in a good word for us on that -3 with Airfix, I will do my tiny part and support the Hellcat market by purchasing one of the new Hellcat’s they have already announced but a -3 would be nice in the future.  

To those from Airfix in the know, what happened to their glass nosed 1/24 Mosquito ... was it ever on the cards, down to sales too perhaps, looks like its still a good seller to me for 1/24?

What I'd really like to see is a glass nosed Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, really thought that would follow on as their Zero/Spitfire/Mustang/Corsairs did ... but it hasn't, same with their 1/32 F-16 possible logical additions, just no fathoming out Tamiya at all :) At this point I'd like to see Tamiya release their 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 one last time  ... kicking myself for the chance of buying one at its release and not doing it.

Tamiya have bailed it seems for foreseeable future and their 1/32 series, so fair play to Airfix for what they do these days, just (personally) wish it were 1/32 and not 1/24.

8 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

To those from Airfix in the know, what happened to their glass nosed 1/24 Mosquito ... was it ever on the cards, down to sales too perhaps, looks like its still a good seller to me for 1/24?

What I'd really like to see is a glass nosed Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, really thought that would follow on as their Zero/Spitfire/Mustang/Corsairs did ... but it hasn't, same with their 1/32 F-16 possible logical additions, just no fathoming out Tamiya at all :) At this point I'd like to see Tamiya release their 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 one last time  ... kicking myself for the chance of buying one at its release and not doing it.

Tamiya have bailed it seems for foreseeable future and their 1/32 series, so fair play to Airfix for what they do these days, just (personally) wish it were 1/32 and not 1/24.

Tamiya are doing their usual long term thing, it may or may not include 1/32 Airplanes.  They just announced a 1/24 Ford GT, a Vietnam era Tank, a WWII reconsaince Car, a 1/24 Nissan Z sports car and a 1/48 Spitifire Mk I and those are all kits announced in the Fall of 2018.  They do what they do and they cover all scale modeling subjects.  We may get other 1/32 planes eventually but unlike ZM or WNW they do a lot more than airplanes.  

I am a huge Tamiya Fan but I recognize that we get what we get, and other companies like Airfix are releasing lots of great subjects.  I am happy enough with an Airfix Hellcat.  Definitely my favorite plastic kit announcement of the year.  I know a 1/32 P-40B has been announced by Great Wall but it looks like it has a long way to go before it is baked and ready.  The Hellcat looks pretty well ready to serve.

4 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I must admit, I am still very excited about the Airfix Hellcat too. Having seen it 'in the plastic', to me, it looks a real winner.

Agreed, though I have not seen it in person. I am usually a "one plane - one model" kind of guy, so having built a Cat a while back, I never expected to want another. This big guy is making me twitch a little, though. Plus, I now have a display base for something like this, and nothing to put on it. Damn these devilish model makers......

BTW, Shoggz, you really need to take that whole Duxford reference out of your signature. You're just making me jealous. :)

Tim

Sorry

10 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

Agreed, though I have not seen it in person. I am usually a "one plane - one model" kind of guy, so having built a Cat a while back, I never expected to want another. This big guy is making me twitch a little, though. Plus, I now have a display base for something like this, and nothing to put on it. Damn these devilish model makers......

BTW, Shoggz, you really need to take that whole Duxford reference out of your signature. You're just making me jealous. :)

Tim

Sorry Tim. :wicked:

If it makes you feel any better, I miscalculated and actually live a bit further away than that - it's actually about 50 miles!

(Note to self: must change location data.)

1 minute ago, Shoggz said:

Sorry

Sorry Tim. :wicked:

If it makes you feel any better, I miscalculated and actually live a bit further away than that - it's actually about 50 miles!

(Note to self: must change location data.)

That makes me feel so much better. :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Airfix has just published their release list for 2019  (there's also new Catalogue for order):

Welcome to the 2019 Airfix Range!

The new Hellcat kit is listed with £119.99 price:

Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat

a19004_ps_1_web.jpg

There's also the Typhoon kit listed with additional (german?) scheme:

Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 'Car Door' 1:24 With Additional Scheme

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Reboxed Academy kits! I suspect they will do some new tools of their own if this range proves popular.

Ah, I was wondering if there were reboxes of someone else’s kits.  Seemed like a lot of them listed for Airfix to start making their own from scratch.

36 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

if anyone's interested, those academy Tiger kits are nice if you want a 'looks like a...', but not much else

So that’s the majority of Airfix’s market.. I have the Academy Kursk boxing I’m slowly chipping away on It sure seems fine to me. Not a RFM Tiger for sure but not horrid either...