Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

LSP_Kevin

2 hours ago, JM2112 said:

I don’t think they’ve even suggested doing a -3.

The reason why the kit is a -5 is because there were so many detail differences between the -3 and -5 that would be noticeable at that scale that they decided not to compromise and run with one specific variant only, hence the -5.

They didn't suggest they were going to do a car door Typhoon either, then they went ahead and did one. To not do a -3 would be insane.

3 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Dissapointed to hear that Airfix are breaking with tradition where 1/24 scale kits are concerned and aren't supplying a pilot figure. I read on another forum that they estimated it would cost up to £10,000 to get a figure sculpted and they weren't prepared to add that to the production costs.

Again that’s tooling costs not sculpting. Also I’d not believe stuff you read on other forums.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

They didn't suggest they were going to do a car door Typhoon either, then they went ahead and did one. To not do a -3 would be insane.

Actually they did,  and the breakdown of the Kit -  not to mention the subject matter - facilitated that.

45 minutes ago, JM2112 said:

Actually they did,  and the breakdown of the Kit -  not to mention the subject matter - facilitated that.

Can you refer me to where you saw that at the time? As I recall, they released the bubbletop, but there was no reference at all to the car door version, it just showed up a year or two later.

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Can you refer me to where you saw that at the time? As I recall, they released the bubbletop, but there was no reference at all to the car door version, it just showed up a year or two later.

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

The -3 isn't like the Typhoon, too many differences at this scale.

Heh, seen Rush live on the R30 tour at Glasgow, awesome ... now we're really going off on a tangent, but I'd love if they did one last tour, I would be there come hell or high water.

Bringing it back on topic (somewhat) I wonder what Airfix's next 1/24 all new release will be? if they go Japanese I hope its a Val or Kate ... and I've said it before really wish Airfix would switch from 1/24 to 1/32, they make some good interesting subjects and their recent kits in this scale are top quality, doubt that will happen though.

Seriously considering the Hellcat as a one off diversion from my preferred 1/32 for aircraft.

13 hours ago, JM2112 said:

I worked on the kit - it was always factored into the tooling. Plus when people asked they were told it was a possibility depending on sales.

My point was that despite those few that may have known, it was not widely acknowledged to be a sure thing, though there was quite a bit of speculation at the time that it would be.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:47 PM, LSP_K2 said:

My point was that despite those few that may have known, it was not widely acknowledged to be a sure thing, though there was quite a bit of speculation at the time that it would be.

I seem to remember at the launch in 2013 that the car-door was mentioned as a planned release further down the line if the bubble-top sold well.

Edited by JM2112

5 hours ago, JM2112 said:

I seem to remember at the launch in 2013 that the car-door was mentioned as a planned release further down the line if the bubble-top sold well.

Did you by any chance also work on this Hellcat, and if so, what was the nature of that work? In fact, I'm curious what your involvement was with the Typhoon kit(s) as well.